Stairs

•••

•••

Polly dropped off her kids so Alice could get the bonding time she wanted while she was in town. Betty and Jughead had gone off to college and that leaves a two year old Peewee ready to be the center of attention to his parents.

FP was in Peewee's room building the new bed they got for him since he out grew the crib. Fred swung by with all his tools to help. FP asked him to come help him because he couldn't figure out what to do with the instructions. In reality he just wanted an excuse to invite him over. He knew he has been far too lonely next door with Archie off at college too.

Peewee carefully came down the stairs holding onto the railing like he was taught. He looked out at the living room to see his mother knitting while the twins were playing with his toys right by her side. Peewee waddled over to them and yanked his toys away. "Mine," He glared at them. Dagwood fought back for the toy car by pulling on it but Peewee pushed the older boy down.

Alice interjected by taking the toy away from them both. "Ezekiel Jones-Smith, I told you many times we share our toys. Sharing is caring."

"No," Peewee reached for the car. Alice gave it back to her grandson. He sat back down next to his sister and continued to play. Juniper built a wall with Peewee's blocks. Peewee kicked it over because he was mad. Juniper began to cry and Alice picked up her son.

"Peewee that was not very nice. Say sorry to Juniper," Alice rebuked but Peewee squirmed in her arms. "Don't cry darling. You can build it again. Peewee won't be destroying it again."

"My toys," Peewee whimpered. Alice carried him over to the stairs away from the twins. She sets him down on the bottom step and orders him to go upstairs. "You can go upstairs and get another toy to play with. I don't want you misbehaving young man."

Peewee watched her walk back to her grandchildren. She sat down next to Juniper and cheered her up. Peewee went back up the stairs in tears. He wanted all of his mother's attention but the twins were hogging it. He walked into his room where the working men were. Their backs were to him but Fred heard the small footsteps and turned to look at the door. "Hey bud, what's wrong?"

FP turned to see. He sets the screwdriver down and sits on the floor. He gestures for his son to come over. He pulls him onto his lap and asks what happened. "Mama mine."

"Oh I see," FP wiped his tears away.

"Care to elaborate for him?" Fred asked.

"Peewee here hates to share Alice," FP explained. He knew from personal experience. "Whenever I'm with her he gets in between us and shoves me aside like chop liver. Polly's kids are here visiting her so I assume he thinks he's being replaced."