Heat Wave

Jughead went to the refrigerator and opened it up looking for cold, refreshing water but it was not enough. The trailer was hotter than the weather outside. FP would agree. He was on the floor without a shirt on. He was sweating too much to be in one. Jughead was in a tank top and had his head in the freezer.

"Dad it's too hot in here," Jughead whined. "I don't think we can consider this a trailer anymore. It's a damn toaster."

"Well what do you suppose we do?"

"I don't know. How about we go swimming or something?"

"Not that bad of an idea," FP removed the wet rag from his face. It was keeping him cool but dipping into a body of cold water sounded preferably better.

"Glad to hear you say that-" Jughead says looking out the window. He walked over to the door with a smile. There was a knock on the door he was expecting. "-because I already arranged for it to happen."

Jughead opened the door and Alice walked in sporting a lovely red bathing suit under a pair of shorts and a sun hat. Jughead greeted Betty as Alice already let herself in. "Muah is ready to go swimming." She took her sunglasses off and looked down at FP. "Don't tell me you're swimming in those jeans."

"I see you're ready to jump into Sweetwater," FP pushes himself up and goes over to kiss Alice. "I wasn't caught up on our plans for the day. I'll go look for those swim trunks."

"I'll help you," Alice says walking to his room behind him. She tugged on his jeans.

"Mom," Betty says. Alice wiggled her hand at her. "We talked about this."

"Those two are animals," Jughead laughs. He pecks her cheek and goes over to the closet to get his trunks too. He handed her the bag he packed earlier. "I think we could stop at a store and get ice for the cooler I left outside."

"Do you hear that?" Betty had a look of concentration on her face. She was trying to make out what it was. The sound of the mattress springing was not amusing to the teenagers in the kitchen.

"Dad that's not what I had in mind when I said we should go get wet!" Jughead bangs on the bedroom door.

"Get your mind out of the gutter!" FP yells back. Alice giggled. FP threw his jeans to the floor and stepped into his trunks. Alice pulled them up and traces a finger around his upper body. She teases a bit knowing a quickie wouldn't be an option. He opened the door and pulls Alice out holding her hand. "Are we going swimming or not?"

"We were," Jughead says grabbing Betty. "I don't know if you guys are."

"Boy, go put the bag in the truck," FP says nooging him. Jughead laughs and tries to wiggle out of his hold. FP lets go and takes Alice outside. He picks up the cooler and shoves it into the back. Jughead closed the trailer and walked Betty to her mother's station wagon. Jughead opened the door for her and she sits inside.

"Jug!" FP called out his name. Jughead swerved his head. The man tossed him the keys to the car. "Take that car. We'll meet you there."

"If you're thinking about ditching us-"

"We're not," Alice cuts him off. "You kids will not be left alone half naked at the river."

"You're one to talk!" Betty yelled from the car.

"Betty!"

"We're just going to stop at a gas station and pick up a few items." FP puts a hand on Alice's shoulder to tame her. "It won't take long."