Chap 9

Donna sat out on the balcony of the villa looking out over the ocean. So calming. She cradled her sweet baby girl close to her chest as she nursed. The freshly bathed baby girl was quickly falling into a calming nap.

Looking down at the sleeping baby in her arms Donna thought about the last year. Going into labor, alone by herself. Ms Sofia rushing in as the baby's head was crowning. Countless numbers of sleepless nights, rocking and nursing the little bundle of love in her arms. She remembers the first time Sophie rolled over from her tummy to her back. Donna squealed and clapped her hands and look around as if she wanted to tell someone. But no one was there, just her and her beautiful baby girl. Her first word 'da' but why, he's not even here. It's just a baby thing she thought to herself. Oh, and how baby Sophie did not like peas. Donna stiffed back a laugh at the memory of Sophie spitting the nasty green mush back out of her mouth covering Donna's face and shirt with the green mess. The fussy baby with fevers and puddles of drool when she cut her first tooth. Walking out of the bathroom soaked after giving Sophie a bath because the baby thought she was in the Splashzone at Sea World! All the nights she sat rocking her baby girl to sleep sometimes wishing that someone else could be there to help because Donna was so exhausted.. someone like her mom, but she disowned me.
A Dynamo but their to busy with their own lives.. Sophie's dad, Sam. He's probably siting up with his own kid giving that baby all the loving that Sophie should be getting from him.

On his hands and knees looking for that darn contract paper that he just had sitting on the top of his desk, he saw a tiny square photo under his desk.

Picking up the picture Sam sat back on his knees. 'Who's kid is this?' He flipped the photo over

Sophia Layne
dob: April 2

Sam flipped the picture over and studied the baby in the picture. None of his friends have had any kids recently and none had given him a picture. He sat back wondering who is the child and how did the picture get in his office, under his desk.

The baby's feature were all to familiar to him though. Her button nose, the soft light colored hair.. the cheek bones. The smirk. But those eyes, it was as if he was staring back into his own. He flipped the photo back over again. The date of birth April 2, looking up at the calendar on his desk. Today is April 2nd. She's a year old today but who is she?

Sam being Sam sat staring at the picture for a few minutes.. doing some basic math in his head. A year plus 9 months ago. That was the summer he had been with Donna in Kalikori. Surely she would have tried to contact me. Or was she that pissed at me that she would keep my child from me. But here is a photo.

He rummaged through his desk drawers, folders looking for maybe a letter the picture may have fell out of. But he found nothing.

He stuffed the picture in his wallet and gathered his stuff to head home for the evening.