Chap 14

'Poor kids. So young to be dealing with all this with that sweet baby girl.' a passing nurse said as she saw Sam holding Donna.

Later that afternoon Sam had to physically drag Donna down the cafeteria to eat. She would not leave Sophies side. She was beginning to neglect herself in order to be with Sophie. She needed to keep her energy up in order to be strong for Sophie.

'You have to keep your strength up too. What good are to Sophie if your tired or sick?!'

Donna pushed her food around on the plate with her fork. Not making any sort of eye contact. 'How did you know to come to Sophie's room?'

'Well when I asked for Donna Sheridan they didn't have you as a patient. But the nurse could see I was desperate and getting frustrated so she kept looking and found a Sophia Sheridan. When I told her I didn't know anyone by the name..' he pulled out his wallet. 'I remembered I found this picture in my office.' Donna looked up at the photo in his hands. 'Under my desk. So I asked if the date of birth was April 2nd.. And then they directed me to Sophie's room'

Donna sat silent 'So you got my letter but never responded?' She said coldly.

'What letter? I just found this picture under my desk at work a few months ago.' Giving her a confused look. 'I've never seen a letter.'

'I wrote you a letter when Sophie's was born and I sent this picture with it.' She took the photo from him and ran her thumb over the Sophie's face.

'I search my office from top to bottom trying to find something that this picture must have fallen out of.'

'Well, you know now and now we are going to loose her.' Donna said no emotion in her voice. 'Guess I was just not meant to have a 'happily ever after' kind of life. I lost the guy now I'm going to loose my princess.'

'Donna the doctor said she is going to be fine. He gives her a 100% chance of recovery.'

'I don't take people for their words anymore.' Sam looked guilty. 'Words don't mean much to me. Been there done that.'

'You know..' Sam was getting frustrated with her. 'What do you want me to say. How do you want me to prove to you that I am beyond sorry for I did. I felt horrible. I never set out to hurt you. I fell in love with you and it scared me. My God, you were everything I ever imagined I could have wanted. You opened up feelings in me that I never knew I had. You totally shook me. I had never felt anything so real with anyone else..'

'Yet you went back home and got married.. '

'Yea but not before I came back looking for you.' She looked up at him.

'You came back?'

'Yea I did. I actually waited for you in the goat house for over two weeks.'

'How did you get into the goat house?'

Sam let out a small laugh. 'I convinced the old lady that I was your brother and I had some real important family business to discuss with you.' He reached for her hand. 'But I think she saw through that lie'

'So your divorced. That marriage didn't last long.'

'I never loved her anyway. It was a marriage of convenience for her fathers sake. He wanted a piece of my family's stock. It didn't even last a year. She knew I didn't love her especially when I was dreaming of you on our wedding night and I said that I loved you in my sleep.'

'You did?' Looking down at their hands.

'I made her sign a prenup and that just set her off even more.. and then she went and had an abortion when she found out she was carrying a girl and not a boy.. a Carmichael heir. That was the final nail. I filed for divorce and it was final about six months ago.'

'Oh Sam, I'm so sorry. That's so horrible. How can anyone do that?' He looked broken. She placed her other hand on top of their hands.