Chap 17

The flight had been restless. Even in first class the seating and length of the flight made Sophie irritable. Donna and Sam we're both exhausted from passing Sophie back and forth for most of the flight. And I am sure most of the other passengers where irritable to. Donna explained to the flight attendant that Sophie was sick and they were going to New York for better treatment.

The weather in New York in mid September was in the middle 70's and dipping into the low 60's at night. Donna and Sophie were not prepared for that kind of weather.

Sams driver drove them to the little but spacious 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment he had rented across from the hospital.

Sam insisted that Donna and Sophie take the master  bedroom. It would be more convenient for her and more room for them when Sophie was able to leave the hospital in between treatments. Plus Sam had his penthouse in the city if he felt he needed to give Donna more space or to get away from the madness and stress of the hospital.

It being early morning and Sophie not needing to be at the hospital until 9, Donna took the opportunity of sleeping in an actual bed and not some roll away type bed that the hospital provided, until it was time for them to admit Sophie into the hospital. She cuddled Sophie close to her and drifted off into a relaxing sleep.

Sam sat up in living room on his laptop preparing things to be ordered and shipped to the apartment he wanted to make it feel like home for Donna and Sophie. While she was sleeping he made sure the frig and pantry was stocked, he checked all the water and lighting fixtures. Just making sure that everything was in proper working order since he didn't get to inspect the place himself before arriving. He didn't want Donna to have to worry about anything while she was there. He just wanted her to focus on getting Sophie well.

The doctor is Greece did mention again that in the somewhat near future in some part of treatment that Sophie would need a bone marrow transplant to get rid of her bad cells and replace them with new cells. Again he mentioned that a sibling is the best match.

Donna and Sam both protested and said that is not going to happen. They aren't in a relationship like that. Right now, they are in the 'close' friend stage raising their child together. So there was not going to be any siblings and plus that would have them waiting for another nine months for Sophie to receive any type of treatment. They would just have to hope and pray that Sam can provide what ever blood or marrow they need to make Sophie well again.