Chap 29

The following week there was a benefit dinner for Mount Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital. Donna reluctantly agreed to attend with Sam. She doesn't like to get all dressed up. Designer dresses, hairdos and lots of glitz is just not her thing. She's only attending because it's the hospital thats caring for her daughter.

She walked back into the living room fidgeting with her gown. It's was form fitting, long and tight. Her heels wear high and her hair had to much hairspray she thought to herself.

'Oh my God I hate getting all dressed up like this!!' Tugging at the dress.

Sam turned around and grabbed his chest. 'Wow!' Was all he could say.

The dress was red. It was long and clung to every curve of her body. It was strapless, showing a conservative amount of cleavage but is showed just enough to have Sam on high alert with other guys trying to make a pass at her. A split showing to little much leg for her liking.

'Um.. there is something I want to give you before we leave.' He ran back into the guest room. 'Please don't freak out. It's not what your thinking.' He pulled out a ring box.

'Oh shit!' Donna said out load covering her mouth.

'Please don't freak. I'm not asking you to marry me.. yet. But I am asking you to please think about being my wife someday in the near future. But today I'm only asking and giving you think ring today as a promise that I want you to be my wife and I promise to love you until death do is part.'

'Sam..' Tears began to well up in her eyes. 'Oh my God it's the ring the sales lady had me try on
at Tiffany's!' He slid the ring on her finger. 'It's to much.. I can't..'

He took her face in his hands and kissed her. 'I said please don't freak.'

'It's just all to much. I mean just 6 months ago you waltzed back into my life when I thought our daughter was gonna die. You've totally turned my world upside down.. again. I appreciate how much you have been there with me every step of the way with Sophie. But I still just can't grasp the fact that you want me and you love me and not just because I'm the mother of your child.'

'What in the hell do I have to do to prove that your all I want. I have told you I love you. I have been very honest and upfront with you about that. And I'm being very patient with you. Not many men would stick around when he keeps getting rejected.'

'Rejected. How's that? I do recall waking up several morning these past few months and your laying next to me. Sam, you left me, you broke my heart, you left me pregnant as a matter of fact! You got married. I'm just trying to protect myself and now Sophie from being hurt again.'

He stepped closer to her and pull her into a hug. 'Please let's not fight or get into this. But I will promise you this.. I swear I'll never hurt you again. Or Sophie for that matter'

She cupped his cheeks with her hands and planted a passionate kiss on his lips.

'I know you wouldn't hurt me again. I'm just scared. I feel like I'm loosing my independence. I don't want to need anyone and here I am finding myself needing you in every aspect of my life.'

He brought her hand up to lips and kissed the ring he just placed on her finger.

'That's what a man does when he's in love' They kissed again.

They walked out of the apartment hand in hand not really know what the future would hold. But Sam is determined that Donna will be his future.