Chap 39

It's Valentines Day. ❤️

Donna and Sam were getting dressed to go out for the night. Sam had booked the most hard to get steak house in town. Since that's been Donna's pregnancy craving, steak.

'Ugh!' As she threw yet another dress across the bed. 'Nothing fits!!' She threw her hands up in the air.

'Honey, you're what, four and a half months pregnant, yes your clothes fit differently.' He turned on a seductively smile and wiggled his eyebrow. 'But I'm happy with what your wearing now.' She was standing in the doorway of her closet in just her bra and panties.

'Gives a whole new meaning to barefoot and pregnant.' She modeled her baby bump.

'Darling just pick something. I think you look gorgeous in anything you wear.' He kissed her cheek and walked into the bathroom to finish getting ready.

After tossing another 3 or 4 dresses on the bed, she settled for a cute little red dress. She finished up her hair and make up and went to get Sophie so they could drop her off at Sams parents house.

Donna leaned over her crib and noticed Sophie was sweating. 'Sam!' She yelled as she picked her up.

Sam ran into the room. 'Wha.. what is it!'

'She's burning up and it sounds like she's wheezing.'

'I'll go call her doctor.'

Donna started packing the diaper bag. Holding Sophie was making such a simple task more difficult. But she didn't want to lay her back down.

Sam walked back in the room on the phone. 'Did she eat today?'

'Come to think of it no, she barely touched her lunch and didn't drink her juice. She's eaten a few fruit puffs.'

Sam hung up the phone. 'He said take her to the hospital. With her immune system already weak from her past treatments, something little can be ten times worse for her.'

They cancelled their dinner reservations.

The walked into the ER and the nurses were already waiting. At moments like this, it's good to know people.

They took Sophie from Donna and immediately took her back to start doing bloodwork and running tests.

About 45 minutes later the doctor comes out. Donna and Sam both jumped to there feet to meet him.

He looked down at Donna's stomach. 'Well congratulations. I haven't seen you in awhile with Sophie doing so well.'

Donna thanked him 'How's Sophie? What's wrong with her?'

'She's just has another upper respiratory infection. RSV, with her already being immune compromised, it hit her worse this time. We did a chest X-ray, it actually has turned into pneumonia. That's why you heard her wheezing.'

'How do you treat that?' Sam asked because Donna couldn't speak.

'She's also dehydrated. So we've started an IV drip for her fluids and we've got some antibiotics being pumped intravenously.'

'Can we see her?' Donna asked.

'You can but don't think the worse when you see her. She is wearing oxygen so she's not struggling to breath because of the pneumonia infection.'

They walked down the hall to Sophie's little private room. Seeing Sophie lying there so pale, so lifeless was breaking Donna's heart.

She turned to Sam. 'Why is this happening to her?' She started crying.

He pulled her into a hug. 'Baby she's a fighter. This is nothing compared to the battle she's already fault. Come on, don't do this now. Sophie needs you to be strong. She'll be back home and wrecking havoc in no time.'

Donna stood watching Sophie's chest rise and fall with each breath she took.

'Hey, she's going to be out for a little bit. Can I take you down to the cafeteria for a Valentine's Day dinner. They don't make reservations but I hear they are serving meatloaf tonight.'

Donna smiled at Sam. He knew just how to make her relax, stop worrying. He held out his arm for her to take.

'Is it a date?' He asked.

'I guess it's a date. I am actually starving.'

Donna looked back at Sophie as they walked out of her room to the hospital cafeteria to celebrate their first Valentines day together.