Chap 16

Donna was running around the goat house throwing things in her suitcase. She didn't want to leave the hospital but since the doctor said it was safe for Sophie to fly she needed to get things packed.

Sam sat on the edge of the bed watching her run around, back and forth between hers and Sophie's room.

She stopped for a few seconds 'All we have is sundresses and sandals. We don't have a New York wardrobe. If I remember correctly, isn't it beginning to get cool there? I don't even own a jacket.'

'I'll take you shopping. Don't worry about clothes. Just get what you need and we'll take care of the rest when we get to New York'

After she grabbed all the toiletries she slammed her suitcase closed. 'I think I've got it all.'

Sam could see the worried look on her face. 'It's going to be fine. She's going to be fine.' He touched her arm and for the first time in weeks she didn't pull away.' I've got us booked on the late flight that way we will be getting into New York in the morning.' She was getting scared but listened to Sam explain everything. 'They doctor gave me her medical passport because I am assuming she don't have her own passport yet?'

'No, I've never planned on traveling with her anywhere. Don't really have travel money ya know. I put all my money into this place and it's just falling apart.'

'When Sophie's better we can get this placed fixed up.'

'We? Sam I don't want your money or your help fixing this place up. It's my disaster and I'll deal with it.'

'It was our dream..'

'And my reality.' She walked over the window and looked out over the ocean.

Now isn't the time to rehash the Villa situation. 'Uh ok.. you ready? Got everything?'

'Sam I can't go to New York. I don't have enough money saved to spend weeks or months in New York.'

'Don't worry about money. I've got that taken care of. I rented us.. uh you and apartment that's right across the street from the hospital.'

'Sam I don't want you buying me things or spending money on me.'

'Well Sophie is my daughter and as her father I'm initialed to be able to spoil her and I'll spoil her mother in the process if I damn well feel like it.' He stepped up closer to her. 'Please don't protested, don't reject my willing to help. This is what I want and this is what you and Sophie need. Please just let me help and continue to be there for y'all. Right now, you and Sophie's well being is my only concern.'

She broke 'Thank you.' She wrapped her arms around him finally giving in to the feeling she had and been holding back. 'I'm just scared Sam. I appreciate all that your going for us. I just wish this was all being done with Sophie not being sick. We should have had this life..'

'I know.. this should have been us.. together as a family back 2 years ago. I screwed that dream up. And I sorry for that. But who knows what the future holds.. right now getting Sophie well is what we need to concentrate on.'

He held his hand out for her to hold. She took his hand in hers and they walked out of the gatehouse down to the docks to the waiting ferry.