Chap 80

Sam put his hand on her thigh. Donna kept her head down through the whole song of Fernando. Trying her best not to be seen by her mother which is not hard when you're sitting on the second row.

Ruby started walking over to the side of the stage where Donna was sitting.

'Well I don't believe my eyes.' Ruby said into the mic. Donna never looked up and turned her face to whisper something about going to use the restroom in Sam's ear.

'As many of you know, I have recently been in contact and I meet up with my daughter in New York.' Donna was about to puke. Donna finally looked up with a pissed off expression on her face.

'It's been years since we had seen each other. I'm now a grandmother. Imagine that!' The crowd cheered. 'As a little girl my daughter would go around in my heels singing into brushes.' Donna was becoming embarrassed although no one knew Ruby was talking about her. 'She'd come up on stage with me some nights singing and dancing around with me. When she went off to college in a London we lost contact. She started her own little band. The Dynamos.' Donna's blood was boiling. 'Well I'm telling you this story tonight because seated right here on the second row is my lovely daughter and her husband.' The spot light shown on Sam and Donna. The crowd cheered Sam's associated sat with their mouths gaped open. Lorraine crossed her arms in a frustrated pout.

'Darling, why don't you come up here.' Donna rejected her offer.

'No, I'm not. I'm good right here.' The crowded started going crazy and after a few minutes of cheering and coaxing Donna finally stood. She was pissed. She looked down at Sam with pleading eyes. 'Get me outta her' she mouthed.

The spot light followed her up on the stage. The crowd was going wild. The stage hand handed her a microphone. She reluctantly took it.

Sams business friends all turned their head towards Sam. He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

Donna gave her mother a hug. 'I'm so pissed at you right now.' She whispered in Ruby's ear.

They made a little small talk. Stage banter. Talking about when Donna was little to now. 'Sorry fellas, she is happily married.' Ruby held up Donna's hand.

'Darling why don't you sing for us.' Donna turned white as a ghost. Her eyes got big and her heart started to race. She looked over at Sam who sat there with a goofy school boy grin on his face.

'No I can't. I haven't sang in years. I'm not the little 5 year kid running around anymore.' She started backing up.

The crowd is not going to let it go. Finally Donna walked over to the band and asked them to play a song. She takes a sip of water and glares at her mother.

'Knowing my mother you guys know then that I grew up with Elvis blasting on the radio.' The crowd yells. 'Well this song I'm about to sing is one of my favorites'

She looks over at Sam as the music starts to play.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

The crowd is silent. Donna's only eye contact is with Sam at the moment.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Donna closes her eyes and feels the song. Ruby has a security guard pull Sam up from the crowd. He walks onto the stage and takes Donna's hand. Her hand is sweaty and shaking.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too

She turns to him stepping closer to him. He puts his hands in her waist. She slides her other hand around his waist.

For I can't help falling in love with you

She smiles and kissed him when the song ends.

The crowd went wild. Ruby hugged her daughter and the rest of the night was a blur for Donna. They sat backstage for the rest of the show. People were walking up to Donna saying how amazing she was and all that fuss that she doesn't like anymore.

Sams associate Kevin whom had brought Lorraine on this trip turned to her 'Damn she's hot and she can sing. Sam one lucky son of a bitch. I bet she's great in bed too.' Lorraine crosses her arms pissed off the rest of the evening.