Chap 13

They stood side by side looking down at Sophie sleeping in the big hospital bed. Her silk blanket close to her face, her pacifier soothing her back to sleep. Donna leaned over to kiss her little cheek. Feeling the warmth of her fever coming back. Donna felt helpless. There is nothing she can physically do to make her baby girl better again. Sophie's going to have her highs and lows. And Donna is not going to leave her baby girls side. Tears began to roll down her cheeks.

Sam standing there feeling helpless himself. He didn't know what he could to do. The doctor explained to him, since Donna couldn't remember everything.. the plan of treatment and what all to except with Sophie's diagnosis. The doctor was once again optimist that Sophie will fight this. Her leukemia is not an aggressive type. Usually if stem cells or bone marrow is needed the best match is a sibling or the father being the next closest match. And with a few rounds of treatment, maybe bone marrow transplant or even a blood transfusion, he is sure Sophie will make a full recovery and have a very normal childhood.

Donna's body began to shake, she was finally breaking down. She has been strong over the past few days. It was her time to break. She brought her hands to her face covering her uncontrollable sobs.

'I can't loose her. She's all I've got Sam' Donna choked out between her sobs. 'She's all I have left of you..' Sam gave her a sideways look his heart breaking.

He felt like shit. He had lied to her. Lead her on. She had opened her heart to him. Asked him to stay with her. She had fallen completely in love with him those few years ago and he crushed her when he had announced that he had to go back to New York because he was engaged.

Donna stood there completely loosing it. She was broken he didn't know what to do. He didn't feel it was really his place to hold her. He broke her, he left her, what if she went off on him, slapped him or punched him.

'What the hell.' He thought as he turned Donna to face him. He wrapped his arms around her. He could feel she was stiff but soon she relaxed into his embrace and buried her face in his chest. He rubbed his hands up and down her back reassuring her that everything is going to be alright and he'll be here with her every step of this.

'I'm not going anywhere, not now, not ever. I should have never left in the first place..' He kissed the top of her head wrapping his arms a little more tightly around her.

He continued to hold her until she has no tears left to cry..