Chap 18

After getting Sophie admitted and settled into her new hospital room. The doctor went over all her previous hospital notes and checked all her vitals.

'She's doing remarkably well. Right now her white cell count is up, so there is no signs of any infection. The antibiotics are doing there job. Her vitals all look good and stable. She was well taken care of over in Greece but having in her here in the states is going to be so much easier for us to make sure she gets the best treatment available to her. We can fly doctors in and transport her faster and much safer having her right here.'

He left them to get a little more settled in. Sam walked out to the nurses station to give them all
his contact information that Donna wouldn't have known to put on Sophie's admission paperwork.

A soft knock brought Donna out of her thoughts.

'Come in.' Donna said softly making sure not to wake Sophie.

A tall thin very attractive woman walked in quietly. She was dressed in a white dress shirt, dark slacks, pearl earrings and necklace. Her hair was fashionably styled and her eyes were as blue as the ocean. Her eyes were familiar to her. She was clutching her Prada purse and holding a small pink teddy bear in the other.

Donna rose from the rocking chair and straighten her wrinkled clothing. 'May I help you?' Donna asked stepping forward.

'Is that Sophie? Is that my precious granddaughter?' She asked ignoring Donna's question. 'She is so beautiful just like Sam has described her.'

'Granddaughter.. Sam has spoken to you of my daughter.'

'Oh I'm so sorry darling, I'm Vivian Carmichael, I'm Sam's mother' She stepped closer to Donna. Who just about fainted. She wasn't expecting any of Sams family to know about Sophie much less come visit her in the hospital. 'And you must be Donna. Sam has talked about you for years. But I must say you are much more beautiful than he has described.' Donna blushed.

'He's talked to you about me?'

'You're all he has talked about for a couple years now. I know all about you and the Summer he spent in Greece.'

'Oh my God, he told you.. everything?' She stressed the everything part.

'If you mean in how Sophie was conceived, then yes darling I know everything.'

Now Donna was embarrassed. 'You know Ms Carmichael..'

'Please call me Vivian.'

'I didn't know Sam was engaged. I'm not that kind of girl who would sets out to be a home wrecker.'

Vivian laughed. 'Donna darling I know that. Sam didn't want to get married. I am actually the one who encouraged him to leave New York and head off to Greece. I knew that he was only marrying Lorraine to please his father.' Donna started to relax. 'I am so glad that marriage is over. She was such a horrid young lady. She only wanted Sam for his money and her father wanted part of our family's stock.'

'Sams told me all about that stuff.'

'So I guess he also has told you that he is still in love with with you?'

Donna was quite shocked. It wasn't something they had talked about. Sam was being a true gentleman, being a great friend. Never has she thought that he might still love her. She also never thought that she herself was still in love with him.

Before anything else could be said. The door opened and Sam walked in.

'Mother!' He was quite shocked to see his mother with Donna and Sophie. He also could sense that something happened right before he walked in or something was said.