Chap 12

Donna quickly tried to stand up, but was careful not to wake Sophie. Shifting the baby and trying to cover herself. She became very shy and clumsy. Flustered was more like it. He still had that effect on her.

He started walking towards her. Her eyes got big and she swallowed hard. 'Oh my God he's walking towards me' Her head screamed.

'No no please don't get up.' He said stopping in front of her and gently helping her sit back down. 'Please sit back down.'

He stared down at her as she looked up at him with tired worried eyes. His gazed left Donna's and focused on the little bundled of pink and purple cradled peacefully in her arms.

Donna caught her breath as Sam pulled back the silk blanket Donna had thrown over her shoulder and Sophie's face trying to cover herself up from Sam.

A lumped formed in his throat at the site of the sleeping baby. He knelt down to where he was more eye level with Donna and Sophie. Tears were filling Donna's eyes.

Sam softly ran a shaking hand over Sophie's soft baby curls down her chubby little cheek before taking her hand in his. Sophie grasped onto his thumb causing Donna to let out a soft sob.

Their eyes finally met again.

'Hi' He said with a handsome smile that was making her feel weak.

'Hey' she said shyly desperately trying to avoid his gaze. 'Thank you got coming.'

'What? You wake me from a dead sleep. Telling me to get here as soon as I can her life depends on me. And you don't think I wouldn't be on the next flight over here?!' He sounded a bit offended.

'I was a little vag with the details. I mean, I had just been given the most horrific news any parent would ever want to get.' She was beginning to get upset.

'Hey sorry' He placed his hand on hers that was resting on Sophie's little tummy. 'I'm not here to upset you, I'm here to help you anyway I can.'

Sophie's little eyes began to flutter open and she turned her head to meet the sound of the voice that had woken her.  Sam caught his breath. Her eyes were his eyes.

'Hey there beautiful' He touched her cheek. She weakly kicked her little feet at him.

Donna quickly covered herself and shifted Sophie to sit up a little. Sam noticed her becoming increasingly shy having her breast exposed to him. He just smiled as she fumbled with the buttons of her dress her eyes never meeting his.

'You sure are pretty' looking up at Donna 'Just like your mamma.' Donna gave him a small smile and rolled her eyes.

'Sam I..' She didn't know what to say. 'I'm sorry for having to drag you away from your family' he went to speak but she continued. 'I hope your wife was ok with you flying out here. I don't want there to be any ya know hard feelings or anything' He smiled at her nervous fidgeting and rambling. He couldn't help but smile knowing he still had such that effect on her. Even after a few years apart.

'Donna I'm not married, but recently divorced, that's a whole other story in itself. And I wouldn't want to be anywhere but here, with you and..' He looked up at her taking his finger under chin turning her head making her look at him. ' this sweet baby girl.. my baby girl.. our baby girl.'

They stared into each other's eyes as if they were both trying to figure out what the other was thinking at the moment.