Hard Times Part 2

The next evening, the two of them boarded a plane for Maralago- the place they loved the most.

Except this time it was different. Normally, when they left together, the anticipation and excitement was great and they were touchy and giggly.

This time, they didn't say much. He was extremely respectful of her space and didn't even attempt to touch her.

Her heart hurt so bad. Unbeknownst to him, she was watching him. She missed him. She wanted nothing more than them to be happy again.

When they arrived, he took their luggage into their private residence.

"I wasn't for sure if you would want us to be seen together or not... so if it's okay.. I arranged for just a dinner for us, alone." He informed her.

"Thank you." She graciously smiled.

He was incredibly nervous. This trip was either going to make them, or break them.

As they arrived at their table, there was a bouquet of roses and a bottle of her favorite champagne waiting at the table for her.

He pulled out her chair for her, as she sat down. "Are these for me?" She asks, smelling the beautiful roses.

"They are."

"They are my favorite... and I haven't drank anything in over 10 months." She recalled.

"As much as you may hate it, or hate me... I've been with you long enough to know your favorites."

"I don't hate you...." She mumbled, looking down at the ground.

He opened the bottle and poured her a glass. "Can we talk about this now?"

"Yeah before I get tipsy." She giggled.

"I'm so extremely sorry for the pain I caused you. It's a guilt I have to live with every single day." He began to explain.

"Then why did you do it? I thought we were happy and had the perfect marriage." The pain was still evident in her voice.

"I made mistakes, Melania, I did, and I'm not going to act like I didn't, but I can assure you. I didn't have sex with her."

"Go on..." She said.

"We were at the party together. And she was extremely drunk and she was going to drive and I told her I wouldn't allow it. And when I went to leave for the night, she followed me into my room. I swear we didn't do anything. She stayed on the couch and I locked myself in my room. I didn't even kiss her, Melania. I wouldn't do that to you."

"Why should I believe you?" She found herself sipping the champagne quickly, trying to mask what she was feeling.

He swallowed hard. "I guess there's no reason you should.. I just thought you should know my side of the story."

"Of course you're going to tell me that. Because that's what you want me to hear. People are saying she was all over you the next morning." Her hands started trembling.

"I don't know what to say. I screwed up and I'm sorry... I understand that you can't believe me.. I was just hoping our relationship was stronger than that." His heart broke into a million pieces watching her from across the table.

"I thought our relationship was stronger than you going out of town while your wife was 9 months pregnant and inviting a woman into your room." She expressed rather passionately.

"I'm sorry.. If I could go back in time, I would change everything."

"But you can't." She sipped her drink, wanting to drown in it.