How It Happened

Asana fakes a joyous smile, "My brother always talked very fondly about you, so it's a blessing to see the real person in front of me."

"Quinton was also an Enzumin Ninety-Nine Scholars, we were not that rare; and he might have exaggerated. I'm a person like everyone else," Alosrin tries to be modest but his indifferent face doesn't really give that off.

"Yes, but you're the last one... Sorry. I didn't mean to make it unpleasant—"

"I think you did mean it," Alosrin looks out the window feeling guilt spurring out. "Yes. It's my fault he died during the Enzumin Massacre."

Alosrin gets down on his knees and places Niowei by herself on the bench.

"I want to apologize for my mistake that caused the deaths of not just my people, but also some of the top scholars around the world. I know I can never mend my mistake so I apologize without an expectation of forgiveness."

"Mommy?"

"I was angry at no one when I first heard of the massacre. Then we sent investigators and you were at the top of the list of why Enzumin fell, and it made sense."

"Mother stop it. They're our guests," Yasana pulls on Asana's dress.

"There are only two types of people who can fool geniuses: another genius or a lucky idiot," Asana's eyes glows with burning crimson.

She looks at Niowei and a vile smile grows on her face, "You fell in love? Was it a foolish love that killed my beloved brother?"

"She's has nothing to do with the massacre. I alone shall shoulder the death of your brother," Alosrin continues to keep his head low.

"Mommy!" Niowei crawls down the bench to sit beside Alosrin and begs Asana with crying eyes, "Please don't be mean to my mommy. He's a very nice mommy to me."

Asana sighs, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be letting a child sees her mother beg on the floor. Please get up and we'll talk of a settlement."

Yasana purses her lips very annoyed by her mother's behavior.

"Thank you for your mercy," Alosrin gets up and comforts the crying Niowei.

"What do you think you can do to repay my brother's death?" Asana glares at Alosrin again.

"Mother. Just let it go. Why are you torturing them? Uncle died a long time ago. We predicted that something like that was going to happen, but he was the one who says magic isn't accurate and went anyway."

Alosrin begins to understand something else with what Yasana said.

And to this, Asana laughs at Alosrin's face.

"Did you really think your action wouldn't have a ripple effect?" Asana wipes off her tears of laughter.

"Mother. Stop," Yasana tugs at her mother's dress.

"Science has took a step back because of what you did. It will take another century or two before the myths begin looking at science again."

Alosrin breathes in deeply, "It saddens my heart to learn what has happened in the last thirty years because of my simple action."

"So it was love. A mortal like him couldn't have been a genius, he was probably a lucky idiot you happened to fall in love with," Asana sighs again.

"I think he was also a lucky idiot," Alosrin replies sadly. "It was only a moment, but..."

"But you two made this beautiful daughter," Asana softly pats Niowei's silver hair. "Sorry, I wanted to see your reaction. I know it wasn't your fault because Quinton told me much about you; so it makes me believe that if anything it's his fault."