Hustling Wind

After Lexin left, the whole house feels empty. It's like we were just explained how everything will unveil in the next year.

"Should we leave in three days?" Nien speaks to the silence in all of us.

"Might as well now than later," Fiona answers unexpectedly.

It's unexpected because Nien has been avoiding Fiona and Fiona felt too guilty to approach Nien either by action or coincidence.

Grandmama and I do a quick 'are-you-seeing-this' moment before Nien replies, "Then how are things on your ends? Maeve went into town so did you guys finish?"

"Ah, yes." I pull out the bag the merchant gave me, "This is what we got. I met Master Lexin in town and couldn't buy the winter coats I said I was going to buy."

"Did that boy approach you?" Grandmama's brows rise faster than the summer winds.

"No," I shake my head and lie because I don't want explain that William is depressed after learning I'm a dude and still touched my male parts.

"Good," Nien sighs. "If he did anything, we're not going to cooperate with his brother."

Fiona rolls her eyes, "I thought Wylton was bad, but William is far worst."

"Seriously," Nien sarcastically chuckles. "One of these days, I'll have to break his arm or leg."

We all burst out laughing and waking Asahi up.

"Let's rest for today. I'll go make us tea," I sit Asahi on the floor with us and go into the kitchen.

As I wait for the water to boil, my mind begins wondering about Asahi's future and who made sure Nillin doesn't see my letter.

Will Lexin tell Nillin where we are? Will I return with Nillin and Asahi when the time comes?

I find my life right now very fulfilling, and definitely don't want to return if there's someone who doesn't want Nillin to be together with me.

Maybe I fear another separation where Nillin doesn't come to find me. One time is already so hard for me.

"My Queen! The water has been boiling for a while now!" Fiona gently pushes me aside while finishing what I started.

"Sorry. I wasn't paying..." My voice trails off when I see Fiona's worried expression.

"It's okay. Just be more careful next time," she answers me sternly. "Come on. Let's go where the others are."

And for that evening, we chat and laugh like the kind of family I came from.

When morning comes, I hear Grandmama's usual tea by the oven.

I reach over for the sleeping Asahi and bring him closer to me in bed.

"Mama," he says his first word this morning.

"Good morning," I kiss his soft forehead. "Did my angel poop last night?"

Asahi chuckles loudly and I smell his bottom which indicates he did poop last night.

We go downstairs into the washroom and that's when I feel unseen eyes and unheard hears.

I try to pretend I haven't notice but I can see the hair on my arms standing stiff like trees.

Then Grandmama watches Asahi as I prepare breakfast with Fiona while Nien does the laundry.

"How did you sleep last night?" I ask Fiona who is stirring the golden winter soup.

"It was good, but I woke up with wind hustling at my ears," she makes an expression to match her words but I know she can also feels the eyes.

"The hustling wind woke me up to, I wonder why there are rapid winds this time of the year," I hope to code our conversation. "Maybe it'll rain in three days."