Chapter 36

━━ ❛ the insecurities i feel scare me ❜ ━━

four years ago, the first day of high school

four years ago,
the first day of high school

"I- are you ready Eunha?" Daeun asked in the quietest voice, paralyzed in front of the humongous school that casted a large shadow on them, brows furrowed in absolute worry, goosebumps crawled on her tanned arms.

Her best friend buzzed with excitement beside her, jumping up and down with a wide grin, "Of course I am, not sure about you though bitch."

Daeun scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief, "I am idiot."

"You literally look like you're about to piss yourself-"

"Daeun!"

A loud, deep voice erupted in the courtyard as the two girls immediately snapped towards each other, confusion dawning upon them before slowly turning to meet a guy jogging towards them, a lazy grin set on his lips.

"Who the fuck is he?" Eunha hissed with the slightest smirk appearing across her lips, she winks at Daeun who groaned in irritation.

"Leedo." She smiled through gritted teeth as the boy stopped in front of them, his eye smile suddenly appearing.

"Looking ugly as usual I see." He chuckled, the amusement clear in his voice as Daeun groaned again.

A low cough intervened his laughter, they face Eunha, brows popping up and down as if she was waiting for her to introduce her. Which she clearly was.

"Oh yes, this is my friend Eunha- Lee Eunha." Daeun mumbles with a subtle tone of awkwardness as Eunha immediately grabs Leedo's outstretched hand, shaking it energetically.

"I'm Lee Gunhak, Daeun's neighbour but you can call me Leedo." His voice was deep yet sweet as Daeun watched his eyes pierce kindly into her friend's, her heart pounding slowly against her ribcage almost deliberately.

Ok yes she may have a teeny tiny crush on her neighbour but that's nothing new right? Just the typical cliché crush that will eventually fade away from her mind.

And she'll move on.
Like she always does.

"You're this bitch's neighbour." Eunha gasped, mouth dropping open as she shared a betrayed look with her best friend, "How comes I didn't know?"

"Because it wasn't important." Daeun shrugged making Leedo scoff.

"Excuse me? So you're saying I'm not important? How dare you, you little cow."

"You are important… well sort of but-"

"You didn't say your neighbour would be going to the same school as us though-"

"I'm sorry!" Daeun finally exclaimed, hooking both her arms around their necks as she let out a moderate amount of exaggeration, "Now let's get in!"

"You sound so dead." They both mutter in unison before exchanging a look with each other, stunned by their similar tones.

"I know, so let's get in!" Daeun repeated with a more over-the-top spirit as her two friends both chuckled, already walking in.

Little awkwardness surrounded the trio, one reason being Eunha and Leedo have never seen, met or talked to each other and another being Daeun's crush on him.

Crush. He'll always just be a teenage crush.

She can't imagine exceeding that limit, especially at this age and stage of her life. Yeah, maybe they could be something more after graduating but she doubts he'll ever feel the same about her.

Why? Because they're two different people with two different goals in life.

Him, kind and compassionate, wants to be a professional dancer and open a dance academy for younger children with similar dreams as him while on the other hand she, quiet and self-centred, wants to become a cellist and succeed in life by herself.

Again, they were two different people with two different goals.

A bitter smile flickered across her lips for a split second before fading into her usual smile, eyes moving from his soft ones and to the hall in front of them.

"Move it." Eunha snarled at the people in front of them as they pushed forward to the front of the desk, Daeun scoffing at her rudeness, Leedo chuckling awkwardly beside her.

"I swear to god, one of these days you're gonna get beaten up for your attitude." Daeun started as Eunha grinned in response before telling their names to the woman at the desk.

"Your friend's sort of cool you know." Leedo stated as Daeun's jaw dropped open, shaking her head, denying every bit of it.

He grinned, gaze wondering to Eunha before coming back to Daeun.

"Trust me once you get to know her you'll regret the day you even talked to her-"

"Got our timetables!" Eunha squealed excitedly, completely oblivious to their chatting as the two immediately snatched their timetables out of her hands.

"Great I got into the lowest set for maths again." Leedo grumbled in annoyance, sight still fixed on the small piece of paper clutched in his hands, now crumbling at the tightness.

"Oh shit me too."

Daeun's head snapped up to Eunha who grinned, slamming her hand onto his shoulder, somewhat amused with his sadness.

His lips suddenly lift up into the slightest smile as Daeun smiled too yet an uncertain fear lurked somewhere among that.

No. There's no way anything could happen between the two.

"Woah we have a lot of classes together." He gasped, looking between her and his timetable as Eunha squealed in excitement.

Daeun watched the two laugh and converse with each other, gulping down the heavy lump in her throat, she looked away.

There is no way anything could happen.

Right?

[the past : part one]

lmaooo lowkey want
to make a prequel to
this book yknow 🌚