Give up hope

Takes place a little before the accident in the last chapter.

Paige POV

"I'm bored!" I shout as I spin around in my mums rolly chair.

"You always bored." Joe said as he came and sat in another chair behind mums desk, "Well if you do your job, then you won't be bored."

"Does anyone look like they need medical attention to you?" I ask him with a laugh.

He looks around then points, "What about that old lady right there?"

I look to where he was pointing to find a sleeping old lady.

"Why is that old lady always here?" I say while shaking my head.

"Joe." Mum said as she came back to the desk, "It's not nice to point."

"You not my momma, Ella." Joe said, "You too fine to be my momma."

"Ew." I say while laughing as I hit Joe on the arm, "That's my mother! And she's like twice your age anyways."

Mum hits me on the arm, "I'm only 34!"

"I love older women." Joe said.

"Joe!" Mum said with a laugh, "Your 31!"

"You need to get back to your job!" I say with a laugh.

"Hell no!" Joe said, "I'm on break for another five minutes!"

"It's gonna take you five minutes to get back to back to the cafeteria." Mum said with a laugh.

"I'm. Not. Leaving. For. Another. Five. Minutes." Joe chanted, "You can't make me leave! This is America!"

"You were just complaining about America last week." I say while laughing.

"Cause I got my check late..." Joe said, "Lord knows I don't get paid enough in the first place. Then you wanna hold my check? Hell no. Do you know how much I get paid? I get paid less than Obama."

"Everyone gets paid less than Obama!" I practically shout with laughter, "He's the president."

"And?" He said with a laugh, "Obama can help a brother out! Hell, I can drop my check and you can see it bounce. It's just that serious."

"Well if you stayed on your job and didn't take five minute breaks every two minutes, then they wouldn't dock your pay." Mum said with a laugh.

"Hey I work." Joe said, then looked at mum, "Hey, you said you were 34?"

She nodded, "Yes, I am."

"Well Paige is 17," Joe said then thought for a minute, "So you had Paige pretty young."

"I was sixteen when I found out," she told him, "Seventeen when I had her."

"And you made it all the way through high school and medical school?" Joe asked.

Mum nodded, "Graduated both with honors."

"Now that's what I call a strong woman." Joe said while giving my mum a high five.

She laughed, "Well Jonathan was a huge help. Watching Paige while I slept. Taking her to the park while I was studying, all of that."

"I was a daddy's girl." I say with a nod.

"We were planning on having another cause we loved her so much," Mum said while messing up my hair, "But things happened. And it didn't work out."

"I'm sorry Miss E." Joe said, he knew that daddy had passed away.

"Nothing to be sorry about." Mum said while waving her hand, "All good things must come to an end. And he was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. It's life."