Enough (Requested Joker)

You raced up the building like your life depended on it. Well, your life did depend on how fast you moved, but you hated to think of it. You hated to imagine those soldiers following you, especially the two you knew. 

Mitchell and Ilona were booking it for the incoming ride. After finding out Irons was against them and had plans of his own, they had tried to escape his forces. You were alongside them, finding out the same time Ilona had. 

Your heart had ached to the thought of escaping without the one person you cared about the most: Joker. He had been away from you at the time shit had gone down. Now he trailed after you, Mitchell, and Ilona as the three of you attempted to escape.

You boarded the ship at the same time they did, relief filling your guts as the feeling of safety finally hit you. Gideon and Joker made it just in time before lifting off. 

Your eyes found Joker's and he was hopelessly watching you. As much as you wanted to run into him and cry that you both needed to go, you forced yourself to stay put. The words exchanged with Gideon were ones you didn't pay attention to as you studied your lover. 

Joker's dark eyes shifted from you to the other two runaways and back again. He held a frown, a sign he was both thinking and worried. Whatever decisions he made from now on would take a toll on the relationship between you two. You loved him, no matter what, but you wanted him to come with you. 

If you managed to get off the ramp of the Warbird, you would be risking it all. Everything you had found out about Irons would be closer than ever before. It was likely you'd be punished for your actions of trying to leave and side with the traitors. 

The only thing you wanted to have was Joker. 

He could see your need, your wish for him to come with you, without you saying a word. The connection between the two of you was almost telepathic. He knew what you wanted...the question was if he would do anything about it.

"Rooftop is clear, no sign of them," Gideon's words made you snap away from your trance. 

You looked back at Joker to his gaze hardening into his focused soldier mode. He had also snapped out of the trance, returning to the situation at hand. 

It was then you knew he wasn't going to join you. 

You pried him with your eyes, still slightly hopeful that he would snap out of it again and join your side. You could only hope the months of time together would come through strong. He couldn't just forget that...he wouldn't.

He was soldier, however, and soldiers knew how to steel themselves away. 

"Joker," you whispered, a choke clutching the back of your throat. 

His eyes moved back to you and he blinked to the welling of unwanted tears in your eyes. You didn't know when they'd started, but they had. Now Joker was seeing you as it was and would be for many days until you could bring yourself together. 

It was now or never. He could choose and choose the path with would last forever. You wouldn't hate him either way. You could understand his situation. 

He was either betraying you or betraying Irons, the latter a much more significant and dangerous figure to ignore. Going with you would mean betraying his duties as an Atlas soldier, dismissing every vow he'd ever taken. 

All for you. 

The Warbird beneath you rocked as it lifted from the ground for the first two inches of the beginning of your new life. Mitchell and Ilona had already moved to sit down, yet you kept watching Joker.