Chapter 71: One Night

Ninnel had come to whisk Orist away for the night. Juniper was saying goodnight to her son. Elthian and Tauriel exchange a few words as Ninnel leaves . Juniper returns to her warm spot in front of the fire. The lamps turned down low .

It was Elthian who crawled beside her and wrapped an arm over her to hold her close. "Will you not give me even a little hint as to what has happened? " she said softly her hand finding his fore arm and begins to gently caress it. The flamers flicker and dance over them. Their light reflected in her eyes.

"I am sorry but I can not." He whispered and his lips press lightly to her shoulder. His fingers lift to move her hair from the slope of her neck.

" I can tell something else has changed." She shifted and rolled to her back her eyes drift up to look into his. " He has given you permission." her voice barely above a whisper.

" I suppose a certain restriction has recently been lifted for a small amount of time. "

Her eyes narrowed then. " That so?"

It was the first time since this odd relationship had started that The King was to allow this. She did not know the circumstances but she could guess his thinking. He did not want their time apart to be too heavy for her.

"Is he leaving the Greenwood?" she asked without looking to him. Her gaze on his hand as her own slides into his large palm.

" Not that I am aware of." He responded as she watched her profile. He felt her body ease with that one answer.

"No I am not leaving." The low seductive baritone voice lifted from behind them. Thranduil finally arriving .

She sat up and props herself up on her small hands. " Then please come and tell me Melamin . Why will I be guarded so heavily? Tell me why You have given Elthain permission to touch me without your presence? It's not that I mind it . It's just strange."

Thranduil lay his robe over the back of a chair. His boots pulled off and left where he dropped them. Her words shake with the fear she was choking on. She was near perfection at masking her emotions . Elthian's eyes were on her. How her flesh held that ethereal glow that contrasts just slightly in the warm orange glow of the fire. How her jaw quivered just a little as she spoke. He would feel her anxious emotions when Thranduil began to move closer.

Her heart was racing by the time he made it to the pile of cushions and blankets in front of the fire. He lowered to sit in front of her . He lifting her small feet and laying them in his lap. " I got a message today from Mithrandir. While on his journey to the east, He found a large enemy army gathering near the Rhun. "

She spoke up suddenly. " How far is the Rhun?"

Elthian answered her." It is several weeks ride across some harsh territory. "

Her head lowered then to look at her small hands and her fingers curled around two of Elthian's. "That is still a good distance away. So why am I to be guarded so close?"

Thranduil ran his hands slowly up her legs to her knees. " There are spies Melamin. Mine and those that are not mine. Things are heard. Whispers from dark places. You need the extra attention right now. " She nodded slightly.

" Now the heaviest question right ? I will go ahead and answer that. My time is going to be focused on impending war . Elthian is the captain of the guard were you are concerned. Plus our arrangement comes in handy . I can be apart from you and You do not have to be so lonely. I will come whenever I can but you do have Elthian. I am grateful for him. " Thranduil spoke softly.

Elthian watched the King play her fully. How he spoke to her. How he touched her. Even how he had chosen where to sit. He was masterful at the art of taming Juniper. Now he understood why it needed to be The King to break the news to her.