Chapter 126: Preparation/The Moon without her.

They had been gone for 2 full weeks now. Thranduil had become cold once again. He showed no emotion. He was now the battle hardened ellon Feren had known so long ago. Everything was business. He never spoke of either of them. Though Feren suspected at night when he was alone he took the time to feel.

Now camp was being set up. The scouts had returned with word of a large army that was approaching from the east. This would be the first major battle of their campaign. Feren stood beside his King as all of the leaders gathered. Before them a rough map of the area. Placed on it were small different colored figures to represent the armies.

Feren began, "Reports are clear. There is an army numbering at least 10,000 located here in this valley moving towards us. They are less than a day away."

"What kind of army are we facing?" Elessar asked.

"Orc, Troll manning catapults and chimera. They did not see any winged ones thankfully but there were at least 3 rather large ones. The problem is because these creatures seem to vary in what they are made from we will not know what we are facing until we are in battle."

"Only 10,000? They are testing us again." Eothain of Rohan says.

"Or picking us off slowly so we are weak by the time we get to the main battle." Eomer tells his Captain.

Thranduil was quiet as everyone began to discuss strategy. It was Elrohir that was aware of Thranduil's silence, perhaps the most. The Kings state of mind began to worry him.

"Without the Golden Warrior and The Giantess with us. It should be us that take on the troll and destroy the war machines." Yarth said and everyone looked to him. "Give us horses so we can flank them. Come from behind and hit the war machines. "

"How many of you?" Elrohir asked.

Yarth grinned then crossed his mighty arms over his chest. "All of us. Then we will meet you in the middle. We will leave tonight and be ready by the time the battle begins."

Eothain scowled he had distrust for the orc with reason. "You would take our horses and leave us as infantry. Leaving most of my men fighting in a way they are not used to. Then..."

"ENOUGH!" Eomer silenced his captain with one sharply spoken word.

"How many horses do you need Yarth?" Eomer asked, Eothain looked to his king with wide eyes.

"Give me 50. We do have horses of our own to use as well. Give me 50 more and I will make sure not one catapult fires one shot." Yarth spoke firmly.

"Then 50 of our strongest war horses you shall have General Yarth." Eomer said and smiled.

"We will place the 50 horseless riders in with the pike men, You speak as if we are helpless children without a horse." Eomer eyed Eothain. "Are we helpless without horses?"

"No My King. We are not." Eothain spoke with a tremble to his voice.

Elrohir smiled a bit to himself before he spoke up. "Why don't we use the same strategy we used near Bree. With General Yarth taking out the trolls and catapults why not have the Rohirrim flank from the sides. There are more Rohirrim this time. They could flank from both sides. We can back them up with archers. Here and here. " He points on the map.

Salim, the leader of the men of the east looked at the map and grinned. "Take out the middle body of the army? I like how you think." I have archers that can do this from at least one side."

Elrohir nodded. "If you can take the left flank the elven archers can take the right."

"Wont this put our own in the line of fire?" Feren asked.