Young Fish and Reverse Punishment, Part 3

"Don't you think that whoever first said, "the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference"...must be rotting in hell? There's no way hating people...is better than feeling indifferent toward them. The opposite of "like" is "hate". Complicating simple answers for the sake of meaning...is such a Japanese thing to do," Junpei says.

"People like wordplay. After all, people...can't live without making excuses," Mahito replied as he stared at a cursed spirit in front of him.

"What is this?" Junpei asks as he walks over to the taller male.

"An experiment to see how big a human can get. And that one's that opposite – to see how small one can get," Mahito explained.

Junpei stares at the thing he was holding in his hand in shock. "This thing's... human?"

"Junpei. Aren't you bothered by corpses?" Mahito asks.

"I don't know... but if, say, that was my mother...I would hate you, of course. I know how evil people can be... so that's why I don't expect anything from anyone. That's why someone else's death means nothing to me. Indifference... that's what humans should strive for," Junpei answered as he stared at his hands.

"Sounds more like...revenge," Mahito points out.

"Are you saying that I got it all...mixed up?" Junpei muttered out.

"Junpei...do you think people have "heart"?" Mahito questions.

"Huh? Don't they?" Junpei asks in surprise.

"No. They have souls... but that's different from "heart."," Mahito replied.

"So, you mean I..." Junpei trails off with a shocked look.

"In this world, only I understand the soul's composition. I can even transmogrify living beings. Emotions come from the soul. It's too simplistic to call it "heart.". People overthink the things they can't see. I can see the soul, so for me, it's nothing special. It's practically the same as the human body. It just exists. Do you understand? Life has no weight or particular value. Just like how water flows through the earth...life simply flows. For you, me, and everyone else–it's the same. Without meaning. Without value. That's why you can do whatever you want," Mahito says.

"I..."

"Live the way you want. Don't limit yourself to just being indifferent. There's no reason to live by such a restricting philosophy. If you're hungry, eat. If you hate, kill. I support...everything you represent, Junpei," Mahito finished as he crushed the item in his hand.

Junpei stared at the male with wide eyes.

✧˖*°࿐

"Recent disappearances and deaths by disfiguration. Thanks to Intel based on the windows' encounters with the residuals...we can locate the killer's hideout..." Nanami says.

"All right! Let's do this!" Itadori exclaimed.

(Y/n) sweatdropped at the male beside him, but said nothing as he twirled a sucker in between his lips, taking in the sweetness from it.

"Not so fast. This is just an approximation. We need to gather more information. You'll both be doing something else. The boy at the movie theater... Junpei Yoshino. Apparently, he is the victims' classmate. The only cameras were located in the theater's hallway. Based on the way he carried himself, there is no reason to believe he's a curse user. However, the connection to the victims must be investigated," Nanami replied.

"Curse user?" Itadori questions.

Before Nanami could speak up, (Y/n) decided to pipe up.

"It's a jujutsu sorcerer with evil intent," the (H/c)-haired male explained.