The Shibuya Incident, Part 44

"Todo..." Itadori trailed off as he sat up a little just to roll onto his side and curl up into a ball, clutching at his forearms. "I can't...fight anymore...! It's not just Kugisaki... Nanami is also on the path to death," he says.

'Nanami! A grade 1 sorcerer?!' Arata thought in disbelief.

"Sukuna... Killed so many people. So... I tried to...help more people. But I couldn't do anything!" Itadori cried out as tears swelled up in his eyes. "I'm nothing but a murderer! What I thought was my conviction...was just an excuse!"

"Because of you, people will die."

Itadori then rolled onto his knees, and stuffed his face into them. "I can't...forgive myself," he sobbed out as he once again laid straight.

"Speak up! I can't hear ya!" Mahito yelled as he ran straight at Arata.

Todo quickly clapped his hands, switching Arata and Mahito places.

Mahito quickly darted his eyes in Todo's direction.

Another clap was heard as Mahito reappeared in front of Todo.

Mahito was surprised as he shifted his eyes once more in Todo's direction.

Todo kicked Mahito away which sent the cursed spirit hitting the ground and flying toward Arata.

"Ngh?!" Arata grunted out in surprise when he saw Mahito's back heading in his direction.

A loud slap of hands clapping together was heard as Arata and Mahito switched spots once more.

Arata landed on his feet and quickly ran in Itadori and Todo's direction so that he could get to safety.

Mahito skidded on his feet as a laugh escaped his lips. "Ha ha!"

'Amazing! Even though I know how it works, it's still so disoriented!' Mahito thought in amazement.

"Brother... You're a man amongst men. Don't limit yourself to such narrow-mindedness. We are jujutsu sorcerers," Todo begins to say.

Itadori lifted himself up as he stared at Todo, listening to the male's words.

"You and I! Kugisaki! Mr. Nanami! All of our allies. Together, we are...jujutsu sorcerers!! As long as we live...our friends who have passed away will not truly have been defeated! It's not about sins or punishment... The moment we become jujutsu sorcerers, our lives cannot be limited to such misfortunes. Looking for meaning or logic in death...can at times defile the memories of those we've lost! Even so! What have you been entrusted with?" Todo states as he tosses his uniform off to the side.

Itadori stared at Todo with wide eyes.

"You don't need to answer right now. However... Until you find your answer, never stop moving. For those of us who live as jujutsu sorcerers...that is the punishment we must endure," Todo finished.

'Now's not the time to tell brother about that.' Todo thought before running forward.

Arata snapped his hand to the side, covering his hand with cursed energy and placed it onto Itadori's back.

"I just applied my cursed technique on you. Listen closely, Itadori. The wounds you've endured until now won't get any worse. They aren't healed, but the bleeding has stopped and the pain should subside. But that's only for the wounds you've suffered so far. If you get hit again, you'll incur damage. My technique won't help you with those injuries!" Arata explained.

Itadori looked at the boy in surprise.

'Todo's younger brother... They look nothing alike.' Arata thought.

"I've done the same for the girl over there. She has little to no pulse, and she is having trouble breathing, but not much time has passed since she received those injuries. Let's just say it's not a zero percent chance she'll survive. I'm taking her and Nanami, and retreating. It's not a zero percent chance, okay?! But please don't get your hopes up..." Arata says as he goes off to get Nanami and Nobara so that he could retreat with them.

"Okay!" Itadori replied with a small head nod.

Mahito extended his whole abdomen, manipulating it to look like thorns or barbed wire.

Todo clapped his hands together which made him and Mahito switch places.

The older teenager grabbed Mahito just for a rip to be heard which caught Todo's attention.

Mahito had made another version of himself that stretched out from his back as he reached out toward Todo.

Todo quickly clapped his hands together before Mahito's hands could touch him.

Mahito's eyes widened when he saw himself falling forward with Todo standing behind him.

"What's wrong? Don't wanna touch me?" Todo asked as he looked down at Mahito.

'He's good... Dodging my attacks while keeping his distance from the worthless Itadori!' Mahito thought.

A smirk then crawled onto the cursed spirit's lips. "I've got some more for ya," he says as he tosses a transfigured human behind Todo.

Todo quickly dodged when he noticed the transfigured human turn into a giant needle.

Mahito stared in disbelief, but excitement bubbled at the pit of his stomach. 'He still dodged it?! C'mon and switch! I'll figure it out! I'll guess right! I wanna do it again! I'm so close! I can feel it! The true essence...of my soul!' He thought.

A loud clap was heard.

However, instead of Todo standing where he should, it was Itadori.

Mahito's eyes widened when he saw Itadori standing in front of him with a fist drawn back which had cursed energy covering it.

"You've got it from here."

Nanami's words echoed through Itadori's mind once more.

'I'm sorry, Nanamin. I was about to take the easy way out. I was about to use my sins as an excuse to run away.' Itadori thought.

Cursed energy crackled like black lightning around Itadori's fist as he sends black flash in Mahito's direction.

Mahito lifted his arm to block, but his blood went flying as Itadori was able to injure him.

'I'll be sure to take on your share of suffering too, Nanamin.' Itadori mentally promised.

Mahito went flying backward as Itadori's black flash landed on him.

His right arm was bent in an awkward way as the cursed spirit landed and skidded on his feet.

"Back from the dead," Mahito says with a grin as he manipulated his arm back to its original shape.

The sound of Todo ripping his shirt off was heard.

"Yeah!" Itadori exclaimed as he shifted into a closed off fighting stance.

"Welcome back," Todo says with a smirk on his lips.