War Practice • 17

I was waiting impatiently outside of the radio tent. I couldn't stop pacing as Clarke and Bellamy spoke to Jaha and my thoughts were too loud to even hear what they were saying.

After a couple of minutes, both of them emerged. Neither were smiling nor visibly upset.

"So?" I questioned, not knowing why they didn't immediately tell me any news.

"Jaha pardoned Bellamy," Clarke answered and paused. I gave Bellamy a smile before returning my look to Clarke. "I couldn't convince Jaha to get your parents on. I'm so sorry Kota."

I wasn't too sure about Clarke in the beginning, but after what we have recently been through I've noticed we've been on the same page with a lot of decisions.

My smile fell away, but I knew she tried what she could, "it's okay, it's not your fault."

"The Exodus ship will be sent down in two days, Kota. I'm sure your parents will be on it," Bellamy told me.

"Really?" I was surprised, two days was soon. This gave me hope that I'd see them in no time.

"I'm going to set up the monitor for the Unity Day announcement, there's some people who want to watch," Clarke said, then walked off.

"I never really liked Unity Day," I told Bellamy. I wasn't a fan of the crowds, my time on the Ark was mostly spent with myself or my parents, and towards the end, with Octavia.

He gave me a laugh, "me neither."

I heard Jasper yelling something as he came around the corner of the drop ship. I laughed at the large makeshift keg he was holding, it was definitely full of moonshine. Bellamy seemed amused by this as well.

"Do you want to teach me how to use that?" I pointed to the gun that was hanging on a strap across Bellamy's chest.

"I would've guessed you already knew how," he replied with a smug face.

"I mean I know everything about a gun, but I have no idea how to actually shoot it," I said.

"Come on," Bellamy waved me on to follow him. I guess this was his way of agreeing to teach me. "You really know everything about guns?"

"Quiz me," I teased.

We spent basically all day out where I could practice shooting. I didn't understand how I could throw knives so accurately, but not shoot a bullet into a target.

"Maybe stick with the knife throwing for now," Bellamy joked and pulled the gun out of my hands. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'll get the hang of it eventually," I responded. We both turned to the sound of footsteps crunching on the ground. Clarke looked like she had something to say.

"Enjoying Unity Day?" Bellamy asked, not noticing the look on her face.

"I need to talk to the two of you," she ignored his question.

"What's going on?" I could sense that she needed help with something.

"Finn set up a meeting with the grounders, we're going to try to negotiate living in peace," Clarke explained.

"How'd he do that?" Bellamy asked, his shoulders now tensing up.

"He talked to the grounder who was here," Clarke answered before continuing. "I need you guys to come without Finn noticing. Bring the guns."

Bellamy nodded, agreeing to her plan and Clarke walked off.

I watched as Bellamy looked over to me, already knowing what he was going to say.