Battle Strategy • 103

We walked for days, this was our last stop before getting to the valley. I was resting my head in Bellamy's lap in front of a small fire. My eyes were shut, but I wasn't asleep even though I think Bellamy thought I was. He was stroking my hair as I laid still.

Bellamy pleaded me to try and sleep. After the nightmare I had, I couldn't get myself to. I slept for an hour at a time the last few days, I was exhausted yet I couldn't get myself to go unconscious for any longer than that.

"Bellamy," I heard Monty say to him. Bellamy stopped petting my hair at his voice, but kept his hand lightly on my head. I could hear Monty sit down beside us before he spoke again. "Last of our rations."

I heard Bellamy's jacket rustle from his small movement. I kept my eyes shut and body still, I kind of wanted to hear what they were saying without me being involved in the conversation.

"Look, if you want us with you at the front lines-" Monty started.

"No. We've got this," Bellamy cut his words off. Monty and Harper didn't want to fight, I understood why. "You stay. We're leaving the tents here. Once the fight is over tomorrow, you'll come and join us. I told Octavia we're taking eighty acres on the Eastern edge of the valley. Grow something other than algae... okay? Kota will be more than excited to help plant stuff that isn't a soupy mess."

I could hear both of them chuckle at Bellamy's remark. It was refreshing to hear it come from both of them. Then the silence grew between them.

"She's having nightmares again," Monty stated more than asked. My ears perked knowing he was talking about me. Monty was well aware of my sleeping terrors and how intense they got. He was on the Ring when my episodes were at their worst, everyone in space during that time knew about my internal battles.

"Just the one," Bellamy answered. "I don't think she's slept much since then."

"She can stay behind with us," Monty offered. I wanted to shoot up from my position to object, but I didn't. Bellamy and I had already talked about this.

"I tried to tell her to stay back, but she won't," I heard Bellamy say softly as he started to run his fingers through my hair again. They exchanged no more words after this point, so I tried to make myself actually try and get some sleep. I knew I needed it, but it was still scary. I did not want a repeat of what happened a few days ago. Not only is it terrifying, but it's also embarrassing.

Bellamy gently turned my head towards his face to wake me up. I blinked my eyes open for my vision to focus. Luckily, I was able to get some sleep without any disruptions.

"It's almost dawn, we should go over the plan with Octavia and Indra one more time before we move in," Bellamy said to me.

"Mhm," I mumbled in agreement as I sat myself up from Bellamy's lap. He helped me up to my feet and we made our way to Octavia's tent. Indra, Octavia and Miller were already inside with a few other of Octavia's officials.

Octavia was looking at me as we entered, I just glanced at her briefly before bringing my eyes to the table in front of us. I still haven't spoken to her and ever since she barged in on my panicking, I really tried to avoid Octavia. I didn't want her to bring it up.

"Let's go over this one last time," I said as I leaned over the map across the table. "When Echo gives the signal, they will open fire on pillbox one at point A. According to Diyoza, at the first sign of attack, McCreary's forces at point B and C will converse to reinforce A, thinking that's where we're coming through."

"Leaving the other two doors wide open," I could hear Octavia contribute from beside me.

"We come through point C," Bellamy stated. "If we time it right and move fast, there won't be any resistance."

"Once we're in the woods, we take the village," Indra added.

"Once we're in the woods, we win," Miller confirmed.

"Spread the word, we go at first light," Indra ordered. Miller and the other officials exited the tent.

Octavia turned to look at Bellamy and I, "tell Echo I said well done."

Bellamy wasn't having it with Octavia. "You can tell her yourself, in two hours," he was blunt. I gave Octavia one last look before leaving the tent with Bellamy following behind me.

I went to where my bag was laying, I had a thick jacket, my belt and knives in it. I picked up the jacket and put my arms through it. I zipped it all the way up and then reached down for my belt, securing it around my waist. I picked up my knives one by one and slotted them into their spots on my belt.

I turned around and saw that Bellamy was watching me. He was holding two guns in his hands. I don't know what it was, but he looked so hot to me in that moment. That was one thing I missed about the Ring, there we could tear each other's clothes off and go at it whenever we felt like it. We didn't have much time for that here, especially in the midst of a war.

"You don't have to come," Bellamy tried to get me to stay behind again.

I sighed as I stepped to him, "I'm going if you're going. I already told you this."

"If something happens to you out there..." he started the same spiel that he gave me before.

"Bellamy, stop. We're not talking about this again. We do this together or not at all," I held my ground, I was absolutely not going to budge with this.

His jaw clenched before he spoke again, "you stay next to me, no matter what. Promise?"

"I promise," I assured him. I could tell he was worried about me fighting in the front lines with him, but I knew he wasn't expecting me to jump at the chance to stay back.

"Here," he held one of the guns out to me. "You're going to need more than your knives."

I took the gun out of his hand and strapped it across my chest. "My aim is still better with my knives," I said with the slightest smile. It brought me back to when he first showed me how to shoot a gun and how horrible I was at it.

"You only have five, you're still going to need the gun," he brought his hand up to ruffle the top of my head.

"What I need is Bear," I said back to him. Bellamy knew I was missing him, he was too. "It feels like something is missing, knowing he's alive and not with me."

"You'll get him back. Clarke and Madi won't let anything happen to him, you know that," he said sincerely.

"I thought I did until she went to the other side," I brought up.

"Madi loves Bear. I know he's okay," Bellamy reassured my doubts about Bear's wellbeing.

I nodded my head to Bellamy and said, "we should go say bye to Monty and Harper."

Bellamy and I walked over to where they were sitting. We all exchanged hugs and told them we'd see them soon.