Our Chance • 85

Six Years After Praimfaya

I held my hand out to Echo who was laying on the floor. I beat her once again while we sparred.

"Who knew you were going to be the best fighter," Echo said while she took my hand.

I gave her a small laugh and pulled her up to her feet. "Not me," I answered her. I've been training nonstop for years now. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Echo taught me a lot, she even taught me how to fight with my knives in my hands instead of just throwing them. Unfortunately for her, I'm an extremely quick learner and constantly wanting to improve. No one has won against me for the past two years including Bellamy, but I don't think Bellamy ever fought with his full capabilities against me. We mostly sparred each other to learn technique, not to win. We also had a habit of finishing sparring sessions in the bedroom.

"Soups on!" Monty called as he walked past the sparring area. Echo and I followed him over to the table where we all ate. I grabbed a seat next to Raven. "The new and improved triple-G tastes better than ever."

Monty handed out bowls of his algae to all of us. "He calls this one Green's green goop," Harper said with a laugh.

"Better name too," Monty added.

"If you mean better like it doesn't want to make you violently hurl, then yeah it's an improvement," Raven stated. I laughed at that while tasting Monty's new product. I don't know what I was expecting for it to taste like, but it still tasted horrible.

I struggled to swallow it, but I did anyways. "Delish," I said sarcastically. I looked over to Bellamy who was staring out the window to Earth. "How's Eden?"

"Still just a dot," Bellamy said as he heard my voice. There was a small patch of green on the planet that excited me, it gave me so much hope. He turned to come towards the group. "Emori take a break."

Emori has been working on radioing down to the ground, but she hasn't been successful yet. "I don't know why you waste your time. I told you, atmospheric radiation blocks radio signals," Raven said to Emori. "They're down there, we just can't hear them."

"We waste our time so they know there's a place they can live," Bellamy responded to Raven as he took a seat on the other side of me.

Raven's voice lowered, "ground radiation has been survivable for a year. They can live everywhere." There was an award silence that floated through the room. "Okay, I'll try again tomorrow to boost the signal."

"Shotgun! Haha, space walk!" Emori celebrated.

"Or we could just find a way to go back down to Earth. Tell them about Eden ourselves," I stated.

I loved Raven and I knew she was working on the problem, but it never seemed like a huge priority to her. It was to me, I've had enough of space.

"Relax, she's been working on the fuel problem all morning," Emori said back to me.

"Actually six years," Bellamy mumbled. He was on the same page as I was. We were safe on the Ring, I understood that and why nobody was in a massive rush to get down. But I felt like part of me was missing the entire time I've been here. The rest of our people, our family, were down there.

"Hey! Time violation Bellamy. Dishes, latrine or Murphy? You choose," Harper pointed out.

I looked over to Bellamy who sighed and looked toward Raven, "I'm sorry. I know you're doing everything you can about it. And I know we said we wouldn't talk about it."

My eyebrows furrowed at the last part of Bellamy's apology, his glance went back on me. I never agreed with the rest of them to not talk about it and he knew that. I felt like we should have talked about it for the past six years, maybe then we would have a solution.

"I choose Murphy," Bellamy concluded while handing Monty a bowl.

"I'd have gone with latrines," Emori commented. I didn't know if Murphy still held the same hatred towards me, I rarely spoke to him anymore. He still kept himself walled off from the rest of us.

I saw Raven get up from the corner of my eye and heard her footsteps exit the room. Emori looked like she wanted to say something, but ended up looking at me instead.

"You didn't have to bring that up," she told me.

"No one else will," I said calmly back to her. "I don't mean to hurt feelings Emori, I just want to go home."

"She's trying," Emori said.

"Yeah," I was short with her. I got up from the table to look out the window Bellamy was looking out of previously. The green patch seemed so small from here, but that's all we needed to be okay.

"Holy shit," I whispered when I caught a glimpse of something out of the window. "Emori get everyone back in here."

"What is it?" She questioned as she came up beside me. I didn't need to answer because she saw what I saw. There was a ship out in the distance, a massive ship.

I ran over to the control panels and shut down all the lights on the ring. We had no idea who or what this was, it was better to be incognito until we figured this out.

I faced the door when I heard running footsteps. Bellamy entered, and to my surprise, with Murphy. His face told me that they knew exactly what was going on.

"You saw it too?" Bellamy asked.

"Yes. I turned the Ring lights off," I replied as all of us went back to the window. The others were now crowding around the window, we all stared for a while before Murphy spoke up.

"We should turn the lights on. Let them know we're here so they could help," he stated.

"No. First we figure out who they are. Then we ask for help," Bellamy refuted. "Raven?"

"Nothing. Radio silence," Raven responded from her seat in front of the monitor. "Their comms might be disabled."

"Or there's no one on the ship," I gave an alternative.

"Or it's filled with aliens who like anal probes and not radios," Murphy snarked.

"Shut up," I mumbled from his stupid comment.

"Whatever, it doesn't matter if it can get us down to the ground. I'm turning on the lights," he said as he walked to the controls.

"That's enough! We make decisions as a team here even if we can't stand the sight of each other," Emori snapped at Murphy.

"All I'm saying is that thing wasn't there yesterday. Now it's in geosynchronous orbit which means someone is piloting it," Murphy continued to make his point.

"Stop, look. Something is happening," I broke up the bickering. We all populated the window once again, watching a smaller second ship exiting the original one. It was going down to Earth.

"That must be a transport," Raven said from behind me. "Emori fire up the radio!"

Both Raven and Emori went back to the screens. Raven started to try and talk to the second ship, continuously saying that we needed help. We never got a response though.

"Raven is there enough fuel to get us over to that ship in the rocket?" I questioned.

"Yes," she confirmed. "Let's suit up."

I looked over to Bellamy and gave him a small smile. This was our chance to get back to the ground. After six years, we finally had a chance. He returned my smile and I followed him out of the room.