Blood On My Hands • 65

I could hear voices getting closer through the trees. They saw the dead bodies at the camp, now they were looking for the person who committed the crime. I did not want them to think I did that.

Bear and I slowed down as my horse came into view. There was a grounder going up to untie him. I needed that horse, I would not make it home without him. I launched the knife I still had in my hand. It hit the man's skull so hard, he looked like he got shot in the head.

I ran over to him and yanked the knife out of him. I couldn't leave anything behind, I wanted nobody to know I was here. Bear barked from behind me, making me spin around. There was a grounder running towards us. He started yelling something to his buddies, but he was cut off. Bear had violently taken the man down to the floor.

He tried to yell again through the pain of Bear's bite, but my knife sunk into his heart. If I did not kill these people, they would kill me. Especially now that I killed two of them. I can not let myself die right now. I quickly made my way over to collect my knife. The pain in my leg was insane, but the only choice I had was to ignore it.

The others definitely heard the grounder I killed yell. They weren't talking, but I could hear their footsteps. I dragged the dead man into an open space. There was a tree far enough away to hide behind and still kill them. I dropped the man and went as fast as I could to my spot.

Bear sat behind me as I got to where I needed to be. "Quiet," I commanded to him. I waited and watched as one grounder approached his deceased companion. I had a knife ready to go, but I needed to see how many of them there were.

I could hear him call over the rest of who was with him, it was only two more people. I had four knives for three people, I could do that. I was patiently waiting for all their heads to be up and not clustered together.

I took the first chance I got, I killed two of them before the third one even reacted. When he did, he booked it towards my direction. I started to try and run away, but my leg would not let me. He was getting closer to me faster, I thought this might be it for me. I was in no condition to fight for my life right now and I wasn't facing his direction to strike him with the knife in my hand.

Then I heard Bear barking and the man yelping. I stopped immediately and turned around. Bear was tearing up this man's arm, shredding his skin. I quickly threw a knife into his face to relieve him of the agony of his injury. Bear let go when he went limp. I was extremely out of breath and my leg was screaming at me. I needed to get out of here now.

I went to collect the all the knives I threw. Once I did that, I followed Bear back to the horse. I was limping so bad as we got to him. I untied him from the tree and attempted to get on. I gasped when I swung my injured leg around from the pain I felt.

"Home," I told Bear as he walked in front of us. I leaned forward to rest my head as the horse began to gallop after Bear, I trusted that Bear could lead us back to Arkadia. I was so exhausted from what I just had to do. I tried to ignore that I just killed five people, but I felt disgusted with myself. My hands had their blood all over them from collecting my knives from their dead bodies. I tried to hide them in my sleeves so I didn't have to look at them.

When we arrived at Arkadia, I saw a bunch of people being loaded off a vehicle. They were people we presumed to be dead a while ago. Bellamy ran over to me as I entered and stopped my horse.

"You're back," I sighed looking down to him from my mounted seat. I was so relieved to see him back with no injuries.

Bellamy reached out his hand, "let me help you down." There was no way I could hide my bloodied hands from him now. I didn't want to tell anyone about what I did, but it looks like I'm going to have to tell him.