Unviable • 66

I was helping Bellamy push a massive cart of rations into a room we were using for extra storage. Raven and Clarke were already in there. Raven was doing something on the monitors so she didn't even look at us when we came in.

"They're going to hate us when we're stuck in here and they only get one meal a day," Clarke stressed.

"More like one meal every other day," Raven corrected.

"I thought we had hunting parties go out," I said.

"They're coming back with less and less," Raven told me. "Without water, we won't be able to grow like we did on the Ark. Think about that when you're starving."

Raven directed her snotty comment to Bellamy, she was really upset about the generator.

"I won't be starving," Bellamy said calmly back to her. This made me shoot my gaze to look at him. "Because I won't be inside."

So many emotions welled up in me at his words. I was angry and sad that he already counted himself out of staying alive through the radiation.

"Yes, you will be," my voice came out deep, I wanted him to know that he was going to be in here when shit hit the fan. He gave me a soft look but he didn't get a chance to fight back because Raven spoke up again.

"We don't have the time we thought we had," her tone was filled with worry.

"What do you mean?" Clarke questioned. We all walked over to look at the screen Raven was examining.

"The waters where Luna's rig is are already dying. Small insect and animal die offs are already happening. Radiation is being carried through the jet streams," Raven explained.

"How long do we have?" Bellamy asked.

"It's hard to say exactly, but my guess is two months," Raven said. I could feel my stomach flipping from what she said. We really were screwed.

"That's not enough time," I stated the obvious.

"We can get the Ark done before the black rain comes if we ramp up work hours. But Clarke, you need to make that list. We need to decide who gets to stay in here," Raven told the blond.

"Raven, we're not talking about the list again," Clarke grew frustrated.

"We have to have a plan when the time comes to close that door. We are officially running out of time," Raven tried to convince her.

The sound of the rover engine starting up changed the topic. "No one is scheduled to take the rover right now," Raven informed us.

I followed Bellamy as he went out, Raven and Clarke came as well. When we approached the rover, I saw Jaha in the drivers seat. Bellamy swung the door open, "where are you going?"

"To run an errand," Jaha answered.

"Get out, Jaha," Bellamy ordered calmly. Jaha turned the rover off and complied.

"All supply runs go through me. And you're supposed to be working on section five," Raven fired at him.

"A patch for a ship that can only save a hundred people," Jaha revealed that he knew this information. I wasn't too surprised he figured it out, he is an experienced engineer. "We have nothing to make water. You're going to have to sentence four hundred people to death. You're really going to do that?"

"We don't have a choice!" Clarke raged. I could see all the eyes around us land on her. I reached out to place a comforting hand on her arm. I saw her take a deep breath to collect herself. I could not imagine what she was feeling right now, she was in charge and had to make a decision that no one should ever have to make.