C h a p t e r [22]

"Don't pull out your hand just yet. I'm just gonna go get a towel." I said as I pull out both of my hands out of the bowl of cool water, leaving his hand alone in.

When I came back with the towel, he's not in the living room anymore but in the kitchen, along with the bowl and the first aid kit. Sitting at the countertop quietly.

"And now you're back in the kitchen."

"I'm afraid the water might spill on the rugs."

I sit beside him while holding the towel with both hands, "Give me your hand."

He slowly lifts his hand up and carefully put his hand down on the soft cloth.

"How does it feel?" I ask.

He wets his lips while he nods, "Much better."

I lightly tap and dab his skin till dry, and slowly wrap on the gauze around his swollen red finger.

"Thanks." He says. His face has brightened, telling how he's feeling better than he was before. He lightly put down his hand on his lap.

"You're welcome."

My phone vibrates, it was a text from an unknown number.

"Good Morning fellow Peer Building Leaders! This is Lori of Guidance A section. Please reply to this text message with your Co-Leader's name and the members of your group with their assigned task. For example, Leader, Lorie Mealey: Challenge-Me-Outside and my Co-Leader, Euri Handel: Singing Charades. Reply the assigned tasks only until tomorrow. I need to list down the names and the challenge takers. Thank you Leaders and may the odds be ever in your favor.. in this coming peer building event! Bye!"

I gulp, slowly putting the phone down and staring emptily on somewhere. I haven't actually started anything besides writing the names of the members on a piece of paper.

A sound of paper crumpling, I look beside me and saw him rustling through the paper bags only using one hand.

"What're you doing?" I ask.

"I'm gonna eat."

"Again?!"

"Yeah."

"Aren't you even full yet?"

"I only ate two steaks and I want to eat until I feel like I don't like it anymore."

The meat was pulled out of the bag and laid it on the countertop. Oddly, he didn't gave me a command to do things for him. He grabbed a plate out of the plate storage then back to get a knife and fork on the drawer.

He holds the fork but he's got real problems on his other hand. He holds but it drops, he grips but it keeps hitting his index finger.

"Give me." I said and he did not argue like earlier, he passed me the plate of the steak.

After cutting them in vertical, I stood and left to upstairs. Grabbed the paper where I list down the names of the members.

My phone buzzed, Tippy's text.

"Hey girl, I have to tell you something."

"What is it?"

I was left with no response. It's a little bit early that I decided to read instead of sleep, besides, I have not touched a book ever since Mr. Jerky Rich-ass came around. The rest of the day went by and it was almost night.

I head downstairs, the surrounding's all dim. I switch the lights on in the kitchen, the lights at the stairs and everywhere to brighten up the whole house. At the living room, the only place where I haven't switched the lights on; I head in and as I turn on the lights, there he was. Sleeping while cuddling his hand with his burnt finger.