C h a p t e r [185]

I hardly pressed my lips against each other, forming a little smile on my face as I look at him. Mom fell asleep already, while the two blossoming love birds were having a little conversation in front. It's cute to see them both somehow getting small information about each others' lives. I laid my head back and just feel the vibrations of the car, the slight noise I hear from Aunt Mary and Mustaha and the warmth of Shawn's hand holding mine as it lies on my thighs.

Eventually, after hours of driving, we finally arrived. Shawn helped Mustaha take Aunt Mary's bags out of the compartment and brought it inside her house. As we walk inside, I couldn't help but to feel quite sad about her staying in her own house alone and surely, when we get back home later, it would feel unfamiliar. I just know it would. I felt the same thing when Dad left and so does with Shawn. It kind of seems like some terrible feeling of adjustment of not hearing their voices and seeing them around the house.

I honestly do not remember much of her house looking cozy and big. Surprisingly it's clean and not full of dust or insects since she stopped living here for so long.

"Aunt Mary? How come your house still looks like someone lived here?"

She cackled, "Oh dear, because there is someone living here."

"What?!"

"My caretaker. I asked to stay and take care of the house before I came to live with you and your mom years ago. Of course I wouldn't just let this house be inhabited by termites and cockroaches!"

"You're right.. I didn't know you have a caretaker to keep your house clean."

Mom interrupts with a joke, "You have to get to used to your Aunt with all those surprises because I too, were surprised with all of the things that's been happening with her life. Who would have known that the last time she fell in love was when she was in college? Right?"

"I was looking for a gentleman and fortunately, he was. Until I found out he's just being friendly, can you even BELIEVE THAT!?" Then the two of them laughed, "What a shame, honestly. I thought he was into me too!"

"But.. that must've hurt.. really." I simply snuck the words to make sure she's not faking her feelings.

"It did but what can I do? I don't want to force myself with someone who only sees me as a FRIEND. And pffffft! It's been so long, I've moved on."

"For sure." Mom teases, "With Shawn's driver."

"Butler mom."

"Whatever. What's his name again?"

"Mustaha." Aunt Mary answered, "And we're just the same age!"

"Maybe it's meant to be. I remember you saying to me that you're looking for a tall, tan skinned man who is well, clearly a gentleman one decade ago!"

"Shhhhh! Don't be too loud, your daughter is getting to much information." She joked.

"Oh don't be silly, she and Shawn's probably gonna get married before you do."

"Mom."

"What?"

"Nothing."

Shawn went to us and smacked his hands, indicating a job done. He breathes in, a little sweaty on the forehead and nose, "All done."

"Thank you Shawn."

All of a sudden, Mustaha came and stood beside Shawn.

"Thank you Mustaha."

"You're very much welcome Mademoiselle."

Shawn chuckles, "Well then, you go and have some time getting to know the girls while I take mine outside." He wets his lips, "May?"

I walked towards him and held his hand like it was automatic. We went outside the house and roamed around the place. I failed to remember old memories about this small town where she lives, filled with trees, grasses and more that one could say it's not a town with people in it but a town one with nature.

The steps we take were careful and gentle, taking time, not rushing. Hands are swaying back and forth while his other one's inside his pocket. He looks up at the skies and hummed.

I don't know if I should still tell him about the money he ordered my boss to put in my account or just let it go. It's not a big deal and I'm not ready to argue with him or be mad because seriously, it's not like we're not okay and not in love but.. why does he have to do that?

"Oh! Look at that!"

It was a butterfly with wide orange wings, monstrously huge which is weirdly creepy. I believe I saw one of it before when I was walking back to my apartment one day after work and overheard the kids call it Mariposa while pointing his finger at it in one of the trees.

"What the heck is that.." Shawn whispers under his breath, amazed like the inner kid in him usually does whenever he doesn't know something actually really existed.

"I think they call it Mariposa."

"Mari—what?"

"Mariposa."

"Mariposa?"

"Yep."

"Is that a spanish word?"

I shrugged with a chuckle, "I don't know."

"Sounds like espanyol."

A few seconds of quietness until I decided to finally talk about it.

"Shawn?"

"Hm?"

"There's something I want to ask you.."

"Yeah?"

"I learned something today.."

"Mhm.. about what?"

"About your dad owning the company I was working and you.. putting money in my bank account."

He stops, smile faded and already making a scene in his head, "Let me explain."

"You better."

"I have no clue you were working in my father's company, I really don't. It was only a few months when I was about to arrive when I learned about it. Dad told me to take calls and handle the business for some time before I leave because he has to go to the doctor and rest for a few days or so. And one time before I could go, Daiya called and said that an employee will be filing for a vacation leave.. I asked the name and she told me your name.."

Listening to him makes me deeply think that fate really intervenes with everything because the owner of the business where I work could be any owner that does not concern Shawn or his Dad.

"I even asked her to send a picture of you so that I'll know if she's really talking about you.. and it was really you. Who would have thought that my plan to come back will have a back up because at the same time, you were actually filing a vacation leave."

I nod, "That's enough."

"I'm really sorry.. I know what I did is stupid."

"Look, I'm not mad.. I'm just.. shocked."

"I understand, I really do.."

With a sigh, I reached up and held his face, "Don't worry, it's okay. Maybe, God really wants us to reunite."

"I'm really—"

"Shut up. I said it's okay."

He nods while his face's slightly squeezed by my hands.

"And.. since you lied.." I pulled his face down and kissed him, he was quite surprised with what I did but he eventually fought back by wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer and tighter to his body.