C h a p t e r [39]

The battle's done and all the players has done their parts. They all stand, the four of them, in front of the crowd; while the background music plays a drum roll.

"Phew! That was intense!" Tippy says.

"True but there can only be one winner for this battle. Who would it be?" Lori replies.

"I honestly don't know who would win and I'm so excited to find out!"

"Me too! Let's not make this any longer, let's start with.. Christa."

Half of the crowd yells, just like before.

"Wow. That was pretty loud." Tippy says, "Well, how about.. Jecht?"

It was quiet at first but it improved. It's just like Christa's.

"That was pretty loud too huh, Tippy?" Lori says.

"Yeah it was.. this is a really hard competition. Now, let's go on with.. Rick!"

The fate must be still against him, no one cheered except his group. Lori and Tippy felt somehow sad for him and told him that it's okay. They both walk to Luke and his name's not even being spoken yet, but the crowd's getting crazy and wild.

Lori laughs in amazement, "Wow, the crowd's crazy for you Luke."

He smiles and the crowd goes even wilder.

"Well, let's go on with you. Ladies and Gentlemen, Luke!"

The screaming, the cheering's two times louder than before. My eardrums are actually about to burst in loudness but still, I scream my lungs out.

"Guess we already know who wins this game." Lori says and the students screams again.

"Wait, wait, wait. Let us hear it again for clarification. I'm not pretty convinced.." Tippy says, "Okay, ladies and gents.. Luke!"

And same as the cheers, it's louder than the rest. That makes him the winner.

"Everyone, we have a winner. Luke Hemmings!" Lori yells and we all happily screamed.

"What can you say to those people who gave all their strength to scream?" Tippy jokes though I know, I can see it on her face that she doesn't really like him.

"I wanna say thank you. Thank you so much. This is for May."

Everyone stopped, turned their heads to me. Some stare with envy, some with anger but mostly, filled with unpleasantness.

"I mean, for May's group. My group." He said with a little laugh.

The commotion stopped, but I know he said it for a reason.

"Thank you Luke. So, that was it everyone. But before we could all go home and rest, just a recap of who got most of the wins today. Well.." Lori says surprised that she just put into a little laugh, "It's May's group."

My group screams in joy, others clapped. Luke comes to us and we gather round to congratulate each and everyone. We still have one more day to go to really get our hands on that prize.

We part ways as soon as Tippy and Lori declared it's time for us, students, to go home and rest for another day of event tomorrow. Shawn and I, we both walk home as usual.

"Hey.." he says.

I didn't speak.

"Just wanna say.. congrats for winning the Quiz Bee."

"Thanks.." I simply say, nothing more.

He sighs and yawns, "One more day. I'm pretty stoked to see the places here."

"Yeah. Wait 'til the challenges and games tomorrow, you're gonna beg me to have the first day of the weekend to make it a rest day."

"I don't think so."

"It's cool. Saturday is already set. I'll tour you, don't worry."

"That's good to hear."

We reached the house and as always, I open the gate, I open the door, I open the lights and everything.

"What's for dinner?" He asks.

"Can you just let me go change first or sit down for a second?"

"I just asked. I didn't say something to rush your mean butt."

"Why do you always keep on pissing me off?"

"Oh, my bad. I'm just dying of hunger since you rushed me this morning to go to school with you and stand in the crowd all day with an empty stomach."

"Wai—"

"And my bad if I piss you off because you just promised me you'd buy me breakfast and I see you eating a sandwich your crush brought you. Honestly, where's the justice?" He says as he heads upstairs.

"Wait. I'm sorry! Mr. Mendes!"

I sigh. He was right. Why does he always have to be right, it's unfair on his part. He waited patiently the whole day for me to grab him the breakfast I promised. Now I don't know how I'm going to make this equal with him. Maybe I could make it up to him by making dinner a little festive. We still have those steaks, he loves pancakes too and there are still lots of untouched ingredients in the fridge, so I guess experimenting a recipe wouldn't be a problem.

I dropped my bag, same clothes, straight into the kitchen and made him his deluxe-like dinner. After an hour, it's all done and I feel extra tired and exhausted. I washed the used plates and utensils, head out of the kitchen, grabbed my bag and head upstairs. I lamely go to his room where his door's slightly open, again. I remember what he told me about getting inside a room where he's in without knocking, he'd kiss me and I don't want that. That'd be totally creepy and.. he's not my type. Jerk, moody and very arrogant. No thank you.

"Mr. Mendes?" I knock, "Dinner's ready.." I didn't wait for him to respond or stand up to tell me things, as soon as I said what I have to say, I walked and went to my room immediately, since I really feel like collapsing from exhaustion.

Bag's dropped, body's slammed on my bed. Same clothes, same germs from the outside, I didn't washed myself. I just feel incredibly tired that I didn't know I've fallen asleep. I can hear myself snoring like a troll but everything is just plain dark. I'm a little afraid that the shadow or the dark guy from my previous dreams might show up to ruin my sleep but gladly, he didn't showed himself.

The next day, I wake up with my head a little painful that I have my face all distorted. Eyes squeezed, cheeks pressing up my lids and my lips flattened like a dough. I head downstairs and washed my face, I wake up the same time as yesterday, so I guess I still have enough time. I'm not meeting anyone an hour early today, so..

I feel so sticky that I decided to just undress and straight take a shower. My headache starts to go away and I'm starting to feel a little okay. I wipe myself up with the face towel and re-wear my shirt yesterday just so I can head upstairs to change. He's nowhere in sight. I thought I'd see him in the kitchen or in the living room when I pass through it, but no. Maybe he's still inside his room.

When I got into my room, I immediately change and grabbed my bag. Hair's still dripping with water when I head downstairs to the kitchen. I, well, again, to make it up to him, decided to make him breakfast but oddly, when I get to the sink, there's no dishes there. There should be the last night's plates since I cooked for him last night and he don't wash dishes because his excuses's he has maids for him to do it at his house in his country; but this time, there's no plates on the sink. Squeaky clean.