C h a p t e r [9]

Never mind. I'll just let him be, besides, I'm liking the peacefulness of the place. I went back in the kitchen, the table is all prepared. Plates are set, meals are served and the chairs are just waiting to be filled on.

"So..?" Mom asks, assuring that I fixed the misunderstanding between us two.

I nod, "He said he'll be here in a second."

I sit down, ready to eat. Mom took her seat too but we're unable to dig in without him at the table.

"May, can you go and tell him again?"

"Mom, he's not a toddler who needs to be reminded every minute to remember what he should do."

"Fine. You're always reasoning. Let's just sit here and wait for him."

"Okay." I said a little proud.

3 minutes already passed and I couldn't take the hunger any longer. She sits comfortably with her brows raised, giving me the face of 'You're gonna stand up 'cause you can't take it anymore.'

I groan and walked to the living room. Halfway through, we almost accidentally bump against each other. He's on his way to the kitchen and I was on my way to the living room.
He froze and I did too. Standing closer to him made me unintentionally smell his scent. The scent that I just think I could smell all day. Vanilla and honey.

"I-I-I was about to call you."

"I'm here."

I nod awkwardly, "Let's eat.. I mean, mom said that. Not me."

We went to the kitchen and sat down.

He just picked himself a little amount of dish, maybe a scoop or two and that's it. Small portion and he's all good.

"Wait—You done Shawn?" Mom asks.

"Yeah.."

"Didn't you like th—"

"No, no. It was amazing. It's just that.. maybe I'm not feeling quite good." He said with a little firmness in his voice, "Thank you for the meal Mrs. Archer." He said leaving the plate on the table and left.

Mom and I aren't even warming up with our mouths on their chewing motion and he's already gone.

She shook her head like she's very unhappy with what and how Shawn's acting. Thinking about what could happen to my dad if he tells his dad about how he's being maltreated in this house when the truth is, he's the jerk and playing the victim cards.

I didn't speak and just go on with the food. I helped her with the dishes but the two of us are quiet. At that moment, I know mom is not in favor of what is happening.

"Mom.. I talked to him. I did what you asked me but what if it's about something else? What if he and his dad argued or something. Or what if he misses his friends or his girlfriends."

"Right. Probably that."

"Really mom? That is so amazing. I was pretty moved."

"Go to sleep. You have school tomorrow."

I didn't respond and kissed her forehead though she's a little worried and went up to my room. I'll be dead if he won't help me out at the event this coming week. I'll be managing a group of psychos, except for Luke Hemmings my love, of course.