C h a p t e r [51]

I shrug it off and went to the kitchen to grab the food and meds, then back to the living room where I sit on the edge of the couch.

"Mr. Mendes..?" I sweetly called, but he did not respond, "Misssteeerrr Mendeeeees?"

I meticulously touch and feel his neck, it's still quite too warm. He's still sick but comparing it now and earlier this morning, he's much better now. I run my hand to his cheeks and to the sides, as I wipe the sweat dry. I notice that he's sweating under his eyes, too and under his nose and chin. I damp my fingers under his eyes and wipe my fingers on my shirt to dry off for the next wiping. He moans again. I slide my hand on his chin, now, under his nose, above his lips.

As I was about to land my fingers on his skin, for drying purposes, he suddenly grabbed my wrist. My heart jumped in fright as we both dived into each other's eyes. We both seemed to be paralyzed. We're stuck for some seconds until I finally got away.

"I—I—I was just wiping—"

"I.. know.." he says in a weak hoarse voice, "Th–Thank you.. for all of this.. but can you.. can you stop.. stop calling me.. Mr. Mendes..?"

"What?"

"Calling me.. Mr. Mendes.. makes you sound.. like.. you're wasting most of.. your saliva saying it.."

"What? That doesn't make sense."

"And it.. it's starting.. to annoy me.."

"Hmph!"

He laughed a little, "Just call me.. Shawn.."

I scoff, "Okay, fine. Now that you're awake SHAWN, it's time for your next meal and your medicine."

He made a soft chuckle, "I'll.. do the same.. I'll call you.. May.. not Miss Archer."

"Okay, whatever you say Shawn. Come on, it's time for you to eat."

He pulls himself up, but the rolled towelette I put on his forehead accidentally falls on the floor. He was about to pick it up but I stopped him.

"Don't. It's okay. I'll get it later. And it's dirty, we'll use a new one."

Of course, with my help, he sits down. I pick up the bowl of porridge on the table and scooped some on the spoon.

"Here.." I said and he opens his mouth and ate.

"Today.. should be.. our touring in town but.."

"But you got sick?" I said with a shrug, "That's what I'm telling you."

"Yeah.. I didn't.. know I'd.. get sick after the—"

"M-hm.." I said as I put another spoonful of porridge close to his mouth, he eats again, "It's called exhaustion. And you're too hardheaded, like you know everything. See where it gets you? Fever."

"I.. I didn't want this."

"Still. And also, you need to work on that attitude of yours, trust me. Bad attitude affects thy fate and the fate might get you and bring you to hell."

"You're.. the one who should fix.. your attitude. See what you're doing.. now?"

"Hey, if I'm a bad person like you, I wouldn't be taking care of you, but since I'm an Angel, I'm helping people, despite being a complete asshole."

He didn't speak and I continuously feed him.

"After this, you lay down and sleep more. Okay? Call me if you're going somewhere, or if I fell asleep, too, wake me up."

He just nods.

"Understand me, Shawn?" I said like a strict guardian, in disciplining a child tone.

"I understand, May."

"Okay.."

He finished eating, then I gave him his medicine. He drinks then lies back down on the couch. I pick up the towelette that fell on the floor, along with the empty bowl and glass; and stood.

"May..?" He calls weakly.

"Hm?"

"Are you.. going to.. come back?"

"What do you think?"

"Yes..?"

"Then I will. I want to see you sleeping when I come back, okay?"

"Okay.."

I head into the kitchen, washed the dishes quickly then went back and sat beside him. His are already closed and I watch him until I know he's asleep. I notice how he starts to sweat again, so I went to mom and dad's room to grab another new towelette, then back to him and wiped the sweat off.

The time elapsed, I spent the rest of the day sitting on the edge of the bed, doing nothing but to wipe his sweat and watch him sleeping and moaning. I yawn, looking over him makes me feel extremely tired. I decided to sit down on the floor and put my head on the edge of the couch, bowed and closed my eyes. I didn't dream but I feel something on my head, like someone's hand's sliding and touching my hair, then down and caressing my cheeks. Later on, I hear a voice.

"You're so.. numb.. why can't you.. feel it.."

Everything is just dark that I fear I'm dreaming about the guy in the dark who speaks to me in a scary voice but no, what I'm hearing is not deep and frightening. It's.. just a normal guy voice. Suddenly, I forgot to breathe. I gasp and wake up. I look around and find out that it's almost evening. I look at Shawn and wondered if it was him. If it was him talking and caressing my hair and face but he's fast asleep. How can he be it? Probably just a dream.

I stand up from the floor, my legs feels paralyzed after sitting uncomfortably on the floor and sleeping. I went around the house to turn on the lights, then to the kitchen to reheat the porridge that will be our dinner and prepare his medicine. I head back to him with everything he needs. I put my hand on his chest and carefully rub my hand against it to wake him up.

"Shawn? Shawn? Wake up."

He grunts.

"Shawn? Wake up. It's time for your dinner." I said as I rub his chest again.

He opens his eyes and eventually went fully conscious.

"Come on. It's time for dinner." I said as I help him up, "Are you.. did you.." I was to question him about what I felt and what I heard while I was asleep but he probably won't understand, especially that I took so many rubs on his chest and calls to wake him up, "Never mind.."

I fed him until done, gave him medicine and let him sleep. He's speechless all throughout the feeding time. He's like a toddler.

I head to the kitchen afterwards and washed the used dishes, then head upstairs and about to sleep when I realize I can't just leave him alone downstairs.