C h a p t e r [162]

Sling bag on my shoulder, sneakers already worn, heels and dress on both hands. I head to the living room to see my trying too hard mom, trying not to be so obvious, interrogating Harry. I hid beside the entrance to eavesdrop.

"Ah, so you're from.. here?"

"Uh, no, I'm actually from United Kingdom ma'am," Harry chuckles, "Redditch, Worcestershire."

"How did you get here? Do you have family here or..?"

"No, my family's also in UK. The reason why I came here many years back was for a business purpose only and I was about to go back to my country after several days of staying in a hotel but.. I fell in love with the beauty of the town where the business was.. so.. I decided to establish my own business there and buy my own house."

"Wow, so you're a boss.."

"I.. don't actually wanna call myself 'boss' because my employees, some of them are my friends but yes, yes I am."

"And..? My daughter works for you?"

"No ma'am, she does not work for me but she does work for my friend."

"What is your relationship with her? Don't tell me you're courting my daughter!"

"Mom!" I summon myself from the entrance and walked towards them, "What are you saying to Harry?!"

"Nothing. I'm—I'm just asking the young man. What's wrong with that ?"

"Many. On different levels. He's my boss's friend. It's embarrassing! Come on Harry."

"Hey," Harry giggles, "It's okay but honestly ma'am, I can't answer that for now. Maybe May can, but not me." He smiles, "I promise to take care of her while she's on my hands."

"Of course you're gonna take care of my daughter because if you don't.." Mom mumbles. She comes to me and grabbed me by my forearm and led me away from Harry. "Look, I know he's good looking and all but you know someone's not gonna like it when they find out you're going out with another guy."

"MOM! WILL YOU STOP?!" I whisper aggressively, "He is just a friend! And we are going to the party, an ELEGANT party. Not those parties in your head where girls bounce their butts and jam to the music with beers or vodkas!"

"Suit yourself. But what would I tell Shawn if you're not home by midnight? Or earlier than that? He said he's coming back tonight, did he?"

"Yeah he did. I'm pretty sure I'll be here before he does and—"

"Sweetie, you need to tell me what I'd tell him. Don't give me other scenarios because I'm not gonna go and tell him 'Oh, she's gonna be here before you do.'" Mom said sarcastically, obviously getting annoyed already.

"Fine, fine. Just.. I don't.." I sigh, "Tell him I went out with Harry."

"Are you crazy?!"

"Harry is just a friend mom."

"I know I gave birth to you and the moment I saw you, I know you're gonna be crazy but don't be like that."

"What's wrong with my reason? I mean, I just want you to tell Shawn the truth."

"So I'm just gonna be like 'Hey Shawn, welcome back. May's not here yet, she went to a party with Harry. Oh, don't worry, he's just a friend."