C h a p t er [37]

"Congratulations to Karen and Miranda for winning the Fiction or Fact game. The group who wins most of the event's games and challenges will be given three small boxes wherein they will choose one. In each box, there's a piece of paper, one is cash prize, one is a trip out of town and the other one's medals and trophies." Lori speaks on the microphone.

Karen and Miranda came back to us after. We hugged and congratulate them but it's not even so long when Lori calls on the next participants for the next game.

"For the next game, the Quiz Bee: Historical Edition, we are calling all single players to come forward to the stage. The players, May Archer, Rena Ishi, Maxine Sala and Fiona Glade. Please come forward to the stage."

I breathe deeply. I believe I can take this, I believe I'd get through this.

"Go May, you can do it!" My group cheers and that's all I can hear from them with their indistinct voices, well, except for Talia of course. She just stands there with her arms crossed on her chest and her brow raised like she already knew what's gonna happen.

"Good luck May." Luke says, "Show them the definition of beauty and brains."

I smiled, starting to send me the good vibes, and wait, did he just? Yeah he did. I nod, "Thanks Luke. Thank you guys.."

I back away from the group, Shawn touches my shoulder suddenly, "Make sure to kill it."

"Of course." I said, then walked to the stage.

Same game mechanics to the Fiction or Fact, race upon pressing the buzzer and answering the right answer, if it's wrong, others are given the chance but the first one to press's excluded on answering.

Standing on the stage, staring at the students participants and supporters. The open field's filled with so many students, making me all shaky.

"GO MAY!" Tori yelled. I followed her voice and saw my group, watching, supporting.

I smiled at them, Luke yells, trying to withstand the noise of the crowd while Shawn, he's just standing, arms crossed with a serious face.

"Are you guys nervous?" Lori asks.

Most of them answered no and I answered yes, a little shaky. Lori then told us to breathe in and out to loosen the nervousness. Then she lifts the card and asked the first question.

"Okay, first question. In what year did the demolition of the Berlin Wall began?"

Faster the lighting strike, I swiftly smack the buzzer. Getting the first chance to answer.

"1989."

"1989 is.. CORRECT!"

I can hear my group screaming. They're like in a concert where they're continuously screaming their lungs out until they lose their breath and voice.

"One point goes to you while others are zero. Alright.." Lori clears her throat, "Next question.. This is the first day of which battle was the worst day in the history of the British Army.."

I know this one. Wait. I can't put it into words but I know it. It's stuck in my mind, puzzled. Mentally blocked. All of a sudden, the buzzer beeps, taking all our attention. It was Maxine Sala who pressed the buzzer.

"Battle of.. battle of.."

And the 10 seconds timer starts. The crowd starts to count.

"10.. 9.. 8.."

"Battle of.. holy.. battle of.."

"5.. 4.."

"BATTLE OF SUDAN?!" She finally answered when the time's already about to cut her off.