Chapter 3-Dance

January 20, 1987

January 20, 1987

It had not been a good day for Athena. She had been messing up a lot today. She wasn't choreographing for anybody—she was doing it for herself—but for some reason, she couldn't figure out a decent 5-6-7-8 count that made sense. Nothing that flowed, or went together, or moved in a way that would look good.

It was actually frustrating her, and Athena doesn't get frustrated easily. It takes a lot to get her going.

The door to the dance studio suddenly opens and Bill Whitfield walks in, "Oh, my gosh. Athena!"

"Huh?" Athena says in surprise as she spins on her heel to face him, "Oh, Mr. Whitfield. You scared me. Hi, how are you? What are you doing here?"

"I'm good." Bill says, pulling the girl into a hug, "Michael needed studio space for his creative vision. He wants new dance routines. He gets sick of doing the same thing all the time."

"You know me so well, Bill!" Michael says as he walks into the room, "Athena!"

"Hi, Mr. Jackson."

"I told you, call me Michael."

"Right." Athena nods, "It's been a minute. It's nice to see you again, Michael."

"You too. I was wondering when I'd see your face again." Michael says, "Who knew it would be at a dance studio?"

"Speaking of," Athena says as she begins to walk towards the door, "I was done in here anyway, so the room is yours."

"Wait!" Michael says, sliding across the floor, somehow stopping himself in the direct path of her getting to the door, "Do you have any time today?"

"I have some time now." Athena says as she looks down at her watch, "I usually don't work on Saturday, actually, so I have the rest of the day to waste."

"Perfect!" Michael smiles, "Would you be willing to help me out with some new dance routines?"

"Um....it would be an honor." Athena says genuinely, "But I don't want to overstep and, you know, overthrow your creative art process."

"Please?"

"You're a master of dance, Michael. Probably the best dancer in the entire world. In my mind, at least. And nobody can convince me otherwise." Athena adds, "The point is, you got this. You don't need me. I'll just be in your way."

"At least watch?" Michael says, almost giving the puppy eyes, "And if you have a suggestion, feel free to say something."

"Okay. You've convinced me." Athena nods with a sigh, sliding down the wall to the floor as she releases her hold on her dance bag, "Darn puppy eyes...."