Chapter 109-Diane Sawyer Interview: Part 2

JUNE 14th, 1995

"It's been tough, but we have each other. We know the truth about Kayden, and that's what keeps us going. We can't let these false accusations ruin his life or our family. We're fighting for his name to be cleared, for him to get his life back," Michael paused, "And I just want to say, in defense of Kayden for the photos they found—we get all...we get all kinds—you wouldn't believe the amounts of mail that we get. If you say to somebody, you know, if I let the fans know that I love Charlie Chaplin, we'll be swarmed in Charlie Chaplin paraphernalia," he paused, "If I say I love children, which I do, they swarm us with everything pertaining to kids! Or if it got out that Athena loves chocolate, which she does, our house would be filled with chocolate from here to eternity! Or if she said she loves puppies, which she does, we would be swarmed in puppy stuff!"

"I guess.....let me ask this, and I'm trying to think of how to phrase it though. I can hear out in the country.....people saying.....and Kayden's been cleared of all the charges. I want to make that clear. People saying, look, here is a man who is surrounded by things that children love. Here is a man who spends an inordinate amount of time with these young boys...." she paused, "What is a thirty-six year old man doing, sleeping, with a twelve year old boy? Or a series of them?"

"Right. Okay, when you say 'boys', it's not just boys and Kayden has never invited—never invited anyone into his bed, ever," Michael said, "Children love him—like they love me, like they love Athena. They follow us, they want to be with us."

"I just wanted to say I've seen these children. When they're at Neverland, they don't let him go to the bathroom without trying to run in there with him," Athena added, "They're always following my brother."

"Obviously, they don't get to stay in the bathroom with him, and they don't sleep in his bed—Kayden and Claire have a room at our house—but no child has ever been in that room," Michael said, "I've seen them myself. They're always laughing, playing, and having a great time, but they've never spent the night in his and Claire's bedroom. It's not how we operate."

"So no more sleepovers at Neverland or Kayden's place?" Diane asked.

"Sleepovers?" Athena said, "Nobody is going near anybody in any inappropriate manner."