Chapter 131-Bailed Out

JUNE 21st, 1996–SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT: MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

"Are you sure about this?" Athena asked as they stepped out of the car and onto the sidewalk, "We don't have to bail her out or get her a lawyer."

Michael looked down at her, "Listen, I know she's your mother—you promised you'd be here to take care of this, so here we are. But both of us need to make it clear to Nicole that she can't run to you for help every time."

"I know," Athena sighed, "It's just hard when you're used to being the family ATM."

"Don't let go of my hand, okay?" Michael said, squeezing hers tighter. "You know I'm with you, no matter what."

Athena nodded, a small smile forming on her lips as she looked up at him, "I know," she said, her voice filled with gratitude. "Let's just get this over with."

As they walked towards the precinct, Michael's hand still firmly wrapped around hers, Athena couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness. Her mother had always been reckless, always getting into trouble and relying on Athena to bail her out.

As the couple, flanked by Bill and Jerome, walked into the precinct through the back entrance, Olivia ran up to them, "Athena, good to see you again! Glad you came. Mr. Jackson—"

"I told you, Michael is fine," Michael assured, pressing a kiss to Athena's hand, "Now, where's Nicole?"

Olivia sighed, "She's in the holding cell. We were able to prove she didn't commit murder on the body they found at the scene, but she's being held on drug charges. Good news is she doesn't need a lawyer."

Athena's eyes widened in shock, "She was doing drugs again?" she whispered to Michael, her voice laced with disappointment.

"I'm sure it's just a one-time thing," Olivia quickly interjected, trying to reassure Athena, "She's been clean for years, as far as we know. They just found a small amount in her purse when they searched her."

"Come on," Michael said, leading them towards the holding cell, "Let's get this over with. We'll get her out of here and make sure she gets the help she needs."

As they approached the cell, Michael pulled Athena closer, wrapping his arm around her waist and holding her tight, "Hello, Nicole."

Nicole looked up upon hearing her name, seeing her daughter and her son-in-law standing in front of her, "Athena? Michael?" she voiced, "I didn't think you were coming."

"Nicole, we have to talk," Athena said sternly, "I know I've become the family provider over the years, but this cannot continue. You keep getting yourself into legal and financial trouble and then you expect me to fix it. It's not okay."

Michael nodded in agreement, "We're here to support you and help you get clean, but you have to help yourself too. We can't keep bailing you out every time you fall back into old habits."