Chapter 147-The Worst News A Man Could Get

Neverland Valley Ranch, Los Olivos, California—July 20th, 1998

Bill and Jerome were having a good laugh in the security office when the phone suddenly began ringing.

Bill furrowed his eyebrows before answering it, "Neverland Valley Ranch. This is Bill Whitfield, Head of Security. How many I help you?"

"Hello, Mr. Whitfield. This is Detective Tutuola from the Special Victims Unit in Manhattan, New York. We met a couple years ago," Finn said professionally, "I'm calling about a matter relating to Athena. May I please speak to her husband?"

"Detective, you mean Mr. Jackson? Michael?" Bill asked for confirmation, "Oh, no. What happened to Athena?"

"Unfortunately, I can only disclose details to immediate family members or a spouse," Finn explained earnestly. 

"Oh, my boss is not going to be happy about this," Bill said, sounding genuinely concerned, "You can't tell me anything? Is she at least okay?"

"She's okay, yes. She's being kept at the hospital," Finn assured, "She said something about wanting discharge papers."

"She wants discharge papers now?"

"I believe her doctor is getting them," Finn said, "They can't legally hold her here if she wants to leave—even if it's against medical advice."

"Let me tell him you're on the phone for him," Bill said, "Give me your contact information and I will call you back."

"Thank you, Bill. My contact number is..." Finn quickly rattled off his details to Bill before the security guard excused himself and hung up the phone.

"What happened to Miss Tyler?" Jerome asked with wide eyes, "Bill, what is going on?"

Bill turned to his friend and colleague, "Apparently Athena is in Mercy Hospital in New York with Finn and Olivia."

"Why is she with them?" Jerome asked, taking a sip of his drink.

"They won't give me any details about her condition. They can only speak to her husband or immediate family."

Jerome nearly fell out of his chair, "We have to get to Michael!"

The two men wasted no time, running across the 2,700 acre land to find Michael. They ran around like headless chickens, desperately trying to locate their elusive boss.

Jerome stopped in his tracks, "One second," he said breathlessly, bending over with his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath, "We need to think like Michael! If we were Michael, where would we be?"

This made Bill pause in thought, "If I were Michael...." he muttered.

Jerome finally managed to catch his breath, standing up straight and starting to pace like Bill was as they continuously passed each other.