Nightmare

There was darkness everywhere. And no sound. Naina tried to move ahead, taking support of the wall, searching for some light. She treaded very slowly, with halted breath, sweat dripping from her face. As she moved a tentative foot ahead, she tripped and fell... but there was no surface. She kept going down... it was water. She had fallen in water... her throat constricted... breathing became difficult... the darkness around got even thicker...

Naina got up with a gasp. She looked around. It was still dark, but not dark like her nightmare. It was her hostel room. She switched on the lamp. Looking at herself, she realised she was covered in sweat, still breathing hard. Getting up, she instantly opened the door and stepped into the balcony. The cool breeze felt good... outside was not as intimidating. She could see the faint hint of light at the horizon. It will be day soon. A new day.

Her thoughts shifted to the previous evening... the shock that had resulted in her nightmare.

She trembled again... and it was not due to the cold breeze. The ground under her feet had slipped away at the sight of Sameer Maheshwari. She had stared without blinking... till the time the bikes had roared away amidst loud cheers. And then too, it took some time for her to move her legs... taking leaden steps to her hostel building. She had no appetite left for dinner. After lunch, she had skipped dinner too... and her evening cup of tea as well. Where was the place for food when her inner turmoil clouded every ounce of sanity she had been trying to maintain. Questions stormed her mind... what was he doing here, was he in this college? That couldn't be as she had not seen him in the past week.

Was he visiting somebody... but his friends were Munna and Pandit who were in Ahmedabad... if he had taken admission here, why was he not in her class... why was he tormenting her with his presence?

Naina slapped her forehead, feeling her resolve wavering again... just one glance and her efforts of past few months slipped away from her being.

"Why Sameer why? Why you have to be here... back in my life?"

She sat down heavily on the floor... her legs not able to support her weight anymore. Once the tears started, she couldn't stop the flow for a long time, crying bitterly.

"Back in my life?" She thought with a grimace, "Sameer was never in my life in the first place."

Another part of her screamed, "But he was in my heart, in my mind, in my every cell."

Fresh tears rolled down her eyes.

It took an enormous amount of effort for Naina to get dressed and walk towards the college. The thought of breakfast not crossing her mind even once. She reached her classroom and without looking at anyone, quietly occupied her seat. For the first time since she had joined, Naina did not pay any attention to what was being taught. When Sonali and Komal tried to talk to her, she mumbled something about a severe headache and kept away from all the chatter.

Next period being free, Naina got up to go to the library. She had just taken a few steps in the corridor when she felt the darkness enveloping her again... and before she could do anything, she had fainted.

As Naina opened her eyes, she tried to recognise the surroundings but everything was unfamiliar. She tried to move and immediately felt a hand on her arm, trying to stop her.

"Chupchaap leti reh... abhi uth nahi paayegi", Sonali's voice surprised her.

"Main yahan kaise aayi? " Naina enquired.

"Arre, ye thodi poochna tha... tujhe poochna chahiye 'Main kahan hun'." Sonali's dramatic reply brought a smile to Naina's lips.

Sonali looked at her with a sombre expression, "Naina, tune kabse kuch nahi khaya hai?"

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें