Make up

It was a tough night for Sameer. What Naina had told him was enough to lose sleep over for weeks. He wanted to ask so many things... wanted to see her reaction... wanted  to know how she had been taking it... wanted her to share her own feelings... wanted to...

But there was no time. He did not say anything on the phone... it had to be in person. He had to look into those brown eyes when he talked to her about it.

Morning was too far away.

He went back to the room from the balcony... Rahul was already asleep.

Sameer sat on his side of the bed, hugging the pillow.

"Jo kabhi kabhi tumhari aankhon mein dikhta hai kya woh sach hai, Naina?" He asked the image that appeared in front of his eyes.

Sadly, the image could not provide any answer. He needed her for that.

It was early hours of morning when Sameer finally dozed off, hugging the pillow.

Next morning, Naina was up early. After a quick bath and shampoo, she dressed up in the new yellow suit. Sonali was ready as well. Dressed in a yellow saree with pearl jewellery, she looked like a princess. The relatives had started to gather in the garden where arrangements for breakfast were going on.

Naina had become comfortable with Sonali's family. They were also treating her like a daughter, taking help whenever she offered.

Since Sonali was not supposed to go down, Naina decided to get breakfast for both of them.

In the garden where the tables were set up, Naina picked up a plate, filling it up with a few dishes. She then picked up a few things in another plate for herself. Balancing both in her hand, she started walking towards the stairs, avoiding the guests coming in and out of the building.

The moment she climbed one step, someone was coming down holding a stack of gifts. His face was not visible... it was evident that he could not see ahead.

"O hello, hello, hello... gift wale... ruk jao mere paas khana hai." She hollered.

He stopped, speaking in a confused voice, "Khana kha liya hai maine."

"Tumhare liye nahi hai... upar dulhan ke liye le jaa rahi hun. Main peeche hoti hun fir tum nikalna." She stepped aside, away from the stairs, "Ab jao."

The person glanced in her direction as he crossed her. Naina did not pay any attention, going up the stairs carefully balancing the plates.

She and Sonali had breakfast together.

There was nothing to do after that. Haldi ritual could be started only when the haldi arrived from Rahul's house.

"Naina, tu makeup kyon nahi karti?" Sonali asked.

Naina shrugged, "Kabhi kiya hi nahi... hamare ghar mein yeh sab karna achha nahi mante... aur mujhe aata bhi nahi hai."

"Isme bura kya hai? Teri family ka thoda alag hisaab lagta hai." Sonali voices her opinion, without showing any disrespect for her family.

Suddenly her face brightened, "Chal main karti hun aaj tera make up. Koi mushkil thodi hai. Yeh toh tu do minute mein seekh jayegi."

Naina tried to dissuade her but Sonali didn't take no for an answer.

Making her sit in front of the mirror, Sonali started working on her face, telling Naina about each product as she used it, not that she herself used too many, but a little base, some compact, eyeliner, a touch of blush and a light shade of lipstick.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें