Preparations

The last day of the year started with some clouds in the sky. The cool breeze through the window made Naina shiver as she pulled the quilt up till her chin. Her eyes opened to see the soft light spread outside the window. A slow smile crept up her face.

"Yeh meri zindagi ka aakhiri 31 December hai jo main Naina Agarwal banke dekhungi... iske baad hamesha Naina Maheshwari apne pati ke saath naye saal ka swaagat karegi." She blushed at her own thoughts.

Suddenly, her hand flew to the parting in her hair... and she was reminded of the day when his red tika had given her the status of a married woman. Technically, she was already Naina Maheshwari. If a court marriage could pronounce a couple as married by just a declaration and exchange of garlands, this could be called a marriage too. That meant tomorrow would be her first new year as his wife. The first person she saw tomorrow morning should be him.

"Zyaada sapne mat dekh, Naina... abhi yeh nahi ho sakta... iss shaadi ko kisi ne nahi dekha... agle new year pe saare armaan poore kar lena." Her mind voice was back with strict instructions.

"Hayee... ek saal... main toh kal ki subah hi apna naya saal Sameer ko dekhkar shuru karna chahti hun... par kaise?" Naina sat up in the bed, clutching the quilt.

"Haan, Sameer aur main ek hi time ka alarm laga lenge... usse kahungi mere kamre ke saamne aa jaye subah... fir darwaza kholungi toh saamne usse hi dekhungi." She was happy that they would be staying in the same house.

Before her mind voice could come up with any more objections, she got up from the bed, going out to the balcony to see the last morning of this year. The cold made her gasp as she stepped out barefoot on the floor. Wrapping her arms around herself, she wondered how it would feel to stand like this in their own house after marriage... warmth of his arms protecting her from the cold. She hugged herself tighter, closing her eyes to feel him around her.

"Tumhe miss kar rahi hun, Sameer," she whispered, opening her eyes, hoping to see him somewhere... as he always appeared whenever she thought about him.

Her eyes met the emptiness of the ground. She pressed her forehead, admonishing herself for the absurd thoughts.

They had planned to meet after breakfast and leave for Rahul's house. Naina packed a small bag with a few clothes and the new dress... the red one. She was still undecided about her evening outfit.

Sameer waited for her outside the gate. Seeing her dressed in a suit, he frowned.

"Naina, tumne jeans kyon nahi pehni? Uss din kaha tha na."

She had purposely chosen a kurta with long side slits so that she could sit cross legged as the jeans would have been a little uncomfortable for the whole day. She had not yet got used to wearing something tight all day through... that too when she would need to help Sonali with preparations for the party.

"Tum jaise chahte ho waise hi chalenge." She calmed him.

Sameer started the bike, and was amazed when Naina comfortably slipped behind him, legs on either side.

"Tum suit mein bhi aise baith sakti ho?" He could not hide his astonishment.

She smiled, "Haan, ab chalein?"

"Toh pehle batana tha na... aise hi do saal nikal diye." He grumbled.

"Oh, toh tum do saal se chahte the main aise baithun," she wound her arms around his shoulders as they hit the road.

Sameer inhaled deeply, feeling her against his back, "Pehli baar bike pe gaye tabse... par tab toh tumne mujhe pakda tak nahi tha."

"Pakda tha... kandhe pe haath rakhe the na?" She reminded.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें