Punishment

First week of college went by in excitement of new courses and discussions about Rahul and Sonali's marriage.

Naina had to go to Phulla bua's house for the weekend. She knew that her grandmother would be eagerly waiting for her visit post vacations.

"Sameer, kal main Phulla bua ke ghar jaungi." She informed him on Friday evening when they met at their spot.

Sameer could not hide his fallen face. A single day without Naina was a punishment for him. But he knew how important it was for her and even more for the old lady who was very dear to Naina.

"Theek hai... main janta hun woh tumhe kitna pyaar karti hain... tum milke aao." His voice was filled with sadness.

Naina shifted closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder, "Ab unse bhi...?"

"Nahi, nahi Naina," he said quickly, knowing fully well what she implied, "unse kabhi jalan nahi hui... unko toh maine dekha hi nahi kabhi... woh toh bas kal sham ko tum milogi nahi aur fir sunday ko bhi poora din akele rehna padega... Naina, main waise toh hamesha akela raha hun par ab tumhari aadat ho gayi hai... ek din bhi mushkil lagta hai tumhare bina."

She knew what he meant... she herself could not think of a day without him.She remembered their days in Ahmedabad. Though she had managed to meet him often, there were a few days when they could not see each other... she recalled the three day stretch and shivered... but the phone calls were some solace. They could talk several times a day, and for a long time at night.

Her eyes lit up suddenly and she sat up straight, "Sameer, main tumhe Phulla bua ka number de dungi... tum raat ko phone kar sakte ho."

He brightened at the prospect of being able to talk to her at least. And then something stirred in his mind.

"Umm... Naina, unke ghar mein balcony hai kya?" He looked up, eyes shining with hope.

"Sochna bhi mat", she glared at him.

"Main toh isliye puch raha tha ki agar hai toh tum wahan se chand ko dekh ke baat karna aur main yahan se... jisse humein lagega ki hum aamne samne hai", he tried to cover up.

She pursed her lips, "Bilkul, sirf isiliye puch rahe the... jaise main toh janti hi nahi na tumhe... agar tumne koshish bhi ki na toh dekh lena."

His hand reached his ear.

She held his wrist, pulling the hand down... a smile playing on her lips.

Sameer had restrained himself the whole week. His guilt making him hesitant to go close to Naina... the pain he had given her weighing heavily on his mind. He felt he had wronged her and he needed to be punished... Naina had forgiven him but he had understood the gravity of his behaviour and its effect on her. It was difficult to forgive. The only punishment he could think of was to keep distance with her. To make himself pay for his mistakes, he had kept his itching hands in control... and it was nerve wracking... more so when she looked so delectable in the new dresses that she wore these days.

He closed his eyes and groaned... her blue dress was again weaving up new fantasies in his mind, the way it hugged her at all proper places. Her fingers still curled around his wrist were ready to make his restraint snap at any moment. But he had to wait...

Naina had been feeling the change in him from the second day of college. He sat with her during the lectures, they met here everyday, they talked... but something was missing... the closeness he always demanded. His talks had not changed... he was praising her, teasing her, saying all the sweet things. He did hold her hand, though it had happened very few times in the past week... but not even once did he try to hug her. In fact, one day when she had wrapped her arms around him, his one hand stayed by his side, only one rested behind her head. He had not pulled out the band from her pony. And now, as she sat holding his wrist, he sat with closed eyes. It was very much unlike him. She knew something was playing in his mind... in fact, she had some idea... but she wanted him to open up... to speak out what was eating him.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें