Trial & Error

The girls waited near the door, trying to hear any sound from taiji's house. They didn't want her to tag along, which she definitely would, if she came to know of their shopping trip. When they were sure that the coast was clear, Preeti gestured to Bela and they quietly went down, locking the door.

The shop was a big one, filled with varieties of colours, patterns, designs and motifs... and different types of dresses... suits, sarees, lehengas and many more. It was divided in two sections... this side was for women's wear and right opposite was menswear.

They settled down and asked for suits. The shopkeeper started showing beautiful pieces in soft fabrics when he came to know that they had to buy it for a function.

Both girls selected a few pieces each and went to the trial room. Preeti went in and came out wearing the first suit. It was green in colour but did not look very good. She tried the other two but was not satisfied.

"Chal behen, tu apne try kar, main aur leke aati hun", she walked away, holding the outfits.

Naina was carrying four pieces... yellow, purple, pink and orange. She wanted to buy the pink one, knowing how much Sameer loved the colour. Trying it first, she instantly liked it... there was no need to try anything else.

Just then, she heard Preeti's voice, "Naina, dikha kaisa lag raha hai."

She opened the door and Preeti looked at her in awe, "Haye Naina, badi pyaari lag rahi hai... yehi wala lele... lagta hai tere liye hi bana hai."

Naina smiled and looked down at herself, "Mujhe bhi pasand aaya... aur Sameer ko mujhpe pink bohot achaa lagta hai."

Preeti nudged her, "Haan behen, ab toh sab kuch jijaji ki pasand ka hi legi."

Blushing, Naina went back to change.

She was thinking whether to try the other suits or not when Preeti knocked and whispered, "Naina, ek minute kholna... kuch dikhana hai."

Naina opened the door a creek.

Preeti shoved a heavy outfit in her hand, "Yeh pehen zara... yahan table pe rakha tha... shayad kisi ne try kiya hoga..."

She looked at the lehenga in her hand. It was gorgeous. Peach in colour, it had subtle golden motif of flowers on the entire skirt... the top was same fabric... with short sleeves and... she swallowed and stared at the back... it had delicate doris with cluster of tiny golden beads at the end of each one... there were four pairs of  doris and nothing else.

"Preeti, ye kaise pehnu... tune iska blouse dekha hai?" She called out from inside.

Preeti answered, "Nakhre mat kar... bas pehnke dekhna hai... le thodi rahe hai."

Naina was still skeptical, "Agar chachiji ne dekh liya toh... "

Preeti was losing her patience.

"Naina, tu try kar rahi hai ya nahi, mummy saariyan dekhne mein khoyi hain...woh nahi aa rahi." She shouted.

Left with no option, and since she herself was tempted, Naina pulled on the lehenga and top. She called Preeti inside to tie the doris.

"Ab bahar aake dikha... itne chote kamre mein pata nahi chal raha." Preeti stepped out.

Naina looked around, "Dupatta kahan hai?"

"Dupatta nahi tha yahan... bas itna hi tha", her sister said in a low voice.

Naina peeped out. Seeing no one she stepped out in the passage, looking at her reflection in the long mirror. She held the skirt and twirled around... loving the flair.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें