Sleep

Sameer helped Naina with the suitcase till her building once they reached the college. He watched her climb up the stairs, waiting till she was visible. Then he left for his room.

They were back in college within a few minutes for the lecture at nine.
Sitting on the first seat, Sameer could not look at her as much as he wanted, being in the direct view of their professor. When he did, Naina narrowed her eyes at him, asking silently to look ahead.

Three back to back lectures were nothing but sheer torture for Sameer. And after the classes, Naina wanted to take the notes for two days that they had missed. Nisha had been on leave for last fifteen days for her elder sister's wedding and Komal had gone with her family where her father was transferred recently. She was to come by month end. Naina asked some other students for notes and once she had what she wanted, her destination was the library.

"Naina, aaj hi saare notes le lena zaroori hai kya?" Sameer wanted to take her out for lunch.

"Sameer, maine kaha na lunch hum wahi khayenge jo bhabhi ne diya hai... fir kisi din bahar chale jayenge... aur saare notes nahi par kuch toh aaj poore karne hi padenge." She kept walking towards the library.

He knew once she made up her mind about studies, it was impossible to divert it. Dejected, he entered the library with her.

And his eyes lit up.

There were just two students, sitting  on the side that was not visible from their regular table. Even the librarian was missing.

They sat at their corner table and Naina took out the notebooks. She handed one to Sameer and started her work. And he started his... of admiring her.

Her hair, that she kept open these days, were flying slightly due to the fan above them. A few strands were constantly  falling on her face which she kept putting behind her ear, but it kept flying back to touch her cheeks. He held the errant lock and placed it behind her ear again. Naina looked up at him... and he winked. She looked around with wide eyes but seeing no one, she looked down at the books again, a shy smile on her lips.

He continued his exploration. Her face was devoid of any makeup and her naturally pink lips were puckered as she concentrated on the words in front of her. His gaze remained fixed on her lips, recalling the events when she had applied lipstick.

Naina looked up suddenly and found him staring. She placed a hand on his face to make him look into the notebook.  He wrinkled his nose... but got to work with a deep breath when she said a silent 'Please'.

After working for one and half hour, finally they were able to finish the work.

"Chalo ab lunch karte hain... main toh thak gaya." Sameer stretched his arms behind.

Naina looked at the fabric of his shirt strain over the broad chest and biceps. The buttons looked like they would snap open any moment. His shirtless image swam in front of her and she wanted to touch him...

Sameer pushed back his chair and stood up, picking the notebooks, ready to leave.

Feeling embarrassed, Naina quickly averted her gaze, standing with her books and bag.

"Aur yeh lunch hum kahan khayenge?" He asked.

"Canteen chalte hain." She suggested.

They walked to the canteen. Though Sameer would have preferred a place where they could eat in solitude but it might be risky to go to their spot this early. There were still a few students roaming around and a few extra classes going on. He had to wait till evening.

They had lunch together and left for their respective rooms.

Once there, Naina unpacked the suitcase. She put aside the clothes that had to be dry cleaned and filled up her laundry basket with all others.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें