Beti

"Sameer, tum isse yahan le aaye?" Naina remembered him telling that he had bought it but it never occured to her that he would bring the lehenga to Mumbai with him. When they had left from Ahmedabad, they were not aware of this wedding.

"Apne saath hi rakha hai jabse khareeda hai... iss intezaar mein ki kab tumhe pehne hue dekhunga." He laid a hand on the soft silk.

"Pehne hue toh tumne tabhi dekh liya tha," she remarked, her voice dropping low.

He recalled his condition when he had seen Naina and Preeti hugging and laughing over it. And his throat constricted again. A low cough sound made Naina look up immediately. She fished out a bottle of water from her bag,undid the cap and gave it in his hand.

He definitely needed water... the memory of that day and the anxious face in front of him... his eyes did not waver from her as he gulped down half the bottle, some trickling down his chin.

As Naina took the bottle from him, he picked up her dupatta from one shoulder and wiped his mouth.

She followed the movement of his hand, amused at first but colouring instantly as she placed her dupatta back, her thoughts going back by a few minutes.

Sameer looked at the play of colour on her face... his fingers moving to graze her cheek with the back of his hand. She looked at him. He flicked his eyes to the lehenga, then raised his brows in question.

Her mind quickly came back to present, "Par iska toh dupatta bhi nahi tha."

He moved the folds to draw out a dupatta, in a dark maroon colour, with golden border and thread and sequin work.

Naina looked at it, thankful that it was not sheer. But she was still apprehensive. She had never worn such clothes... except that one green blouse... and the thought was enough to make her go a dark shade of red again.

He was watching her with expectant eyes waiting for an answer.

"Iska... iska blouse main sabke saamne... aisa kuch kabhi pehna nahi hai." She hesitated.

He thought about what she meant... and realised she was right. His own heart would not be able to take it... when seeing her from a distance had made him lose his breath, if he sees her in front of him... he shivered. And why should anyone else see her like this. It was his right.

"Theek keh rahi ho tum... sabke saamne pehenna sahi nahi hoga... lao main isse jaate hue wapas rakh dunga." He wrapped it back in muslin cloth and put it in the bag.

"Ab chalein?" Naina asked.

He shifted against the tree, pulling her against his chest, "Abhi se kyon jaana hai... abhi mehendi mein ek ghanta hai... aur humein thodi lagani hai."

She sat up in surprise, "Kyon nahi lagani? Main toh mehendi zaroor lagwaungi."

He straightened, "Par yeh toh shaadi walon ke liye hoti hai na? Jaise unko haldi lagi thi... waise hi ab unko hi mehendi lagegi... haina?"

She pressed her forehead, closing her eyes for a moment, "Arre baba, tum kitne budhu ho... mehendi toh sab log lagate hain... parivaar wale, dost, sabhi... dulha dulhan ki thodi khaas hoti hai, par baaki sab bhi lagwate hain."

"Oh... toh matlab tumhe bhi lagwani hogi?" He presumed it was a rule.

She gave him a poignant look, "Tumne kuch bhi nahi pata shaadi ke baare mein... humari shaadi mein tum kaise yeh sab karoge?"

He leaned towards her, speaking in a low, husky voice, "Main classes le lunga."

Naina coloured to the root of her hair, remembering her talks during their visit to Alibaug. She got up and moved away  facing the other side, not able to look at him.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें