Safar

Sameer could hardly sleep the whole night. He kept thinking about the time when they would be alone... for hours together. He had wanted to book a first class coupe... to be with her in solitude. But it would have been difficult to explain to chachaji... even to Naina. Now they had to travel with a compartment full of people... but they'll all be strangers... he smiled in satisfaction.

As the first hint of light started to appear in the sky, Sameer Maheshwari fell asleep.

Ramdhari had prepared alu paranthe for train along with some sandwiches and kachori. When neither Sameer, nor Munna Pandit came to the kitchen till eight, he went to their room and knocked.

Repeated knocking also did not bring any result. Ramdhari opened the door a crack and peeped inside.

All three were fast asleep. He went inside, fully aware that Sameer had a train to catch.

"Sameer bhaiya... Sameer bhaiya." He tried several times but no one moved.

Left with no choice, he picked up the jug and sprinkled water on the sleeping boys.

They stirred, wiped their faces and went back to sleep.

Ramdhari, at the risk of facing wrath of Sameer, splashed the whole jug on three of them, focusing mainly on Sameer.

All three sat up with a jerk. They took some time to comprehend what happened.

When Sameer realised it was done by Ramdhari, he was filled with anger.

"Tera dimag toh kharab nahi hai? Teeno ko poora bhiga diya... aisi kya jaldi thi uthane ki... hum roz uthte hain na? Toh aaj bhi uth jaate." He screamed.

Ramdhari was prepared for this outburst, "Sameer bhaiya, aapko Mumbai jaana hai... dus baje ki train hai."

They stared at him... shocked. Then, together turned their eyes to the wall clock... it showed the time as 8:15.

The train was to leave Ahmedabad station at ten.

Suddenly, all hell broke loose... three of them started to run around... falling off the bed, pushing each other, stumbling over things...

Pandit ran to the bathroom and locked the door as Munna banged.
Sameer pushed Munna aside and shouted, "Pandit bahar nikal... meri train choot jayegi... tujhe kahan jaana hai jo sabse pehle andar jaake baitha hai."

Pandit opened the door, "Arre haan bhai, jaldi toh tujhe hai... mujhe thodi kahin jaana hai."

Before Sameer could enter the bathroom, Pandit closed the door shut...

Sameer raised his hand to bang again when he opened it, with a sheepish smile, "Sorry, bahar aana bhool gaya tha."

Pulling him out, Sameer ran into the bathroom.

Half an hour later, he was standing in the living room along with the suitcase and a bag.

Ramdhari had packed all food items in a box which Sameer adjusted in his bag.

He looked at the watch and screamed, "Agar tum dono mein se koi do minute mein bahar nahi aaya toh main rickshaw se chala jaunga."

Munna hurried out, adjusting his hair with fingers, "Chal bhai, main chod deta hun... Pandit toh bathroom se nikalne ka naam hi nahi le raha."

They placed the luggage in his car. Sameer looked back at the door, but there was no sign of Pandit. Waiting any longer was not possible.

He sighed, "Theek hai Munna, chalte hain... Pandit ko meri taraf se gale laga lena."

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें