Phulla Bua

Naina left after the two lectures on Saturday morning. Sameer wanted to drop her but she didn't let him. Giving him the phone number of Phulla bua's house, she promised to speak to him at night.

Sameer saw her leaving the gate, a gloom descending on him... knowing she was not here in the college premises made every place look empty. The moment she had walked out, he could feel the heaviness of passing seconds weighing upon him. It would be more than twenty four hours before he could see her again. He walked back to his room with heavy steps.

Naina sat in the moving rickshaw, melancholy of the growing distance between them deepening as she watched the electric poles rush past her.

She was at her destination in a little over half an hour.

As always, Phulla bua welcomed her with open arms, showering all her love.

"Naina, meri gudiya, tu toh aur bhi pyaari ho gayi hai... kahin meri hi nazar na lag jaye", she hugged Naina, kissing her forehead.

Blushing at her open praise, Naina tried to sound normal, "Kya bua dadi, aap toh aate hi meri taang kheenchne lagi."

Her grandmother pinched her chin, "Main kyon tang karungi tujhe... jaisi dikh rahi hai waisi hi toh bolungi... tere kapde, tere baal, tera chehra, sab ekdum heroine jaisa lag raha hai... zaroor kisi hero ka kamaal hai."

Naina felt her colour deepen, "Mujhe bhookh lagi hai... aap kuch khilayengi ya nahi?"

"Aaja, aaja... teri manpasand sabzi banayi hai, aur pulaav bhi hai... chal khana khate hain", bua dadi went towards the kitchen.

Naina helped her to lay out the food and they had lunch together. She wondered if Sameer had eaten or not, hoping that he had. After the lunch, they cleared up the kitchen. The old lady then brought out a dish from the refrigerator.

"Naina, pata hai aaj meetha kya hai?" she called out to her granddaughter.

The mere mention of the word was enough to bring back the dark colour on Naina's face. She bit her lip as she imagined Sameer here, listening  to all this. He would have been smirking at her, eyes shining with mischief.

"Kahan khoi hai?" A gentle nudge from Phulla bua brought her back.

"Ku... kuch nahi... bas college ka kuch kaam yaad aa gaya", she stuttered, hoping that her lie is not caught.

"Dekh, kheer banayi hai tere liye", bua dadi put a generous helping for her in a bowl.

Naina relished the sweet treat, telling about her college and result, about Sonali and her engagement, her upcoming wedding.

Phulla bua listened with interest as Naina went on about various things.

"Teri saheli ki shaadi itni jaldi kyon kar rahe hain uske ghar wale? College toh khatam karne dete." She was always in favour of girls getting good education before they got married.

"College khatam karegi na... woh toh bas isliye shaadi kar rahe hain ki agle do saal unki kundali mein koi date nahi hai", Naina explained.

"Yeh log pata nahi kab aisi baatein manna chodenge", she was clearly not happy.

"Arre bua dadi, aap kyon pareshaan ho rahi hain? Sonali aur Rahul toh bade khush hain", she tried to pacify her grandmother.

She smiled, "Chalo theek hai, kam se kam bacchon ki khushi ka khyaal toh rakha... warna pyaar ka naam sunte hi maa baap aag barsane lagte hain."

Before Naina could answer, the phone started ringing.

"Main lati hun", Naina ran to get the cordless from the other room.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें