Jhalak

Naina sipped her tea as Sameer gorged on two more paranthe. Finally, when he did not open the casserole after his plate was empty, she offered him tea.

"Jagah bachi hai pet mein ya ab kal hi khaoge?" She placed the cup in front of him.

"Kal kyon? Lunch nahi karenge kya?" He gave a perplexed look, completely missing the sarcasm.

Naina gave a wide, fake smiled, "Karenge na, lunch mein kya khana pasand karoge?"

Sameer looked around, "Oh, hum kya lunch tak yahin ruk rahe hain? Theek hai, waise mujhe sab achha lagta hai par shahi kofte, matar paneer, masala gobhi aur jeera alu mujhe sabse zyada pasand hai."

Rahul and Sonali burst out laughing. Naina placed her elbow on the table, holding her forehead in the palm.

"Kya hua? Tum hans kyon rahe ho?" He narrowed his eyes at his friends.

Turning towards Naina, he saw her exasperated expression, wondering what was it that was making them laugh and get annoyed at the same time.

Giving him a stern look, Naina picked up the casserole and walked away.

"Yeh rooth gayi kya?" Sameer pondered aloud.

"Shayad... jaake dekh kya hua usse?" Rahul prompted him to go after Naina, holding Sonali's hand under the table, stopping her from following her friend to the kitchen.

Sameer quickly pushed back his chair, going after her.

Naina placed the container on the platform with a bang, "Kitna bhukkad hai... aise koi khata hai kya? Itne paranthe khane ke baad kam se kam do din tak bhookh nahi lagni chahiye... aur ye maharaj toh lunch ka order de rahe hain... par hamesha toh Sameer aise nahi khata... fir aaj kya hua isse... bhagwan ji... shaadi ke baad main bas saara din kitchen mein hi lagi rahungi agar sach mein Sameer aise khata hai toh."

"Tumhe lagta hai shaadi ke baad main tumhe kitchen mein lage rehne dunga." His arms came around her waist from behind, startling her.

Naina kept one hand on her heart, to steady the thudding at his sudden appearance.

"Tum... tum yahan kyon aaye?" She tried to see behind him, checking for Sonali.

"Koi nahi aane wala ab yahan... Rahul ne hi bheja hai mujhe... tumhe manane." Sameer buried his head in her hair that were open again.

She turned to ask him about his food habits... regretting the action instantly.

The dark shadow on his jaw weakened her anger, making the hammering stronger against her rib cage.

Naina closed her eyes to gain composure... then placed her hands on his chest and pushed him a little away from herself.

Sameer's face fell. He was sure now that she was upset.

"Naina..."

"Sameer..."

They said at same time.

A smile crept up on their faces, melting the tension.

"Naina, tum rooth gayi ho kya?" He put forth his doubt while she still had a smile on her face.

How could she stay angry when he was asking with such innocence...

Keeping the smile intact, she shook her head, "Nahi Sameer, roothi nahi hun... bas hairan hun ki tum itna khana kaise kha sakte ho... jab hum saath mein bahar kahin jaate hain tab toh tum aise nahi khate... fir aaj aise kyon... aur jab diwali pe Phulla bua ke ghar gaye the tab bhi tumne raat ko aise hi khaya tha... mujhe soch ke darr lagta hai ki aakhir tum apne ghar pe kaise khate ho."

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें