Dream

Naina stepped closer to the door with very soft steps, putting her ear on the panel.

The knock was repeated, along with a low voice, "Naina."

She quickly opened, relieved to hear Rahul's voice.

He stood with a small rolled up pack, "Tumne kuch khaya nahi hai... yeh tumhare liye laya hun."

Naina was about to speak when he interrupted, "Kha lo... tumhe toh beemar nahi padna hai na... aur haan, isme kuch cake ke piece hain... Sameer ko pasand hain... agar usse bhook lage toh... woh mere room mein the toh le aaya."

Naina could not thank him enough.

He looked around, "Ab darwaza band karlo... main raat ko aaunga."

She nodded and closed the door after he left.

The package contained two chapatis, rolled with a filling of dry vegetable of beans and potatoes. A small paper napkin had four pieces of cake.

She ate the chapatis and had some water. After cleaning her hands, she went to Sameer and placed her palm on his forehead to check if the medicine had some effect. He was sweating. The forehead was wet, so was his face and neck, making the collar of his t-shirt damp.

That was a good sign. His fever was coming down. Naina checked around for a thermometer but couldn't find one. She sighed and went up to get his towel from the bathroom. Wiping his face and neck again with the wet handkerchief, she cleaned with his towel.

She noticed his hair had become damp too, and so had the pillow. There was another pillow in the lower shelf of cupboard, she had noticed. Bringing it out, she went to replace it with the damp one.

Slipping her arm under his neck, she lifted his head, trying to pull out the pillow. It was still stuck under him. She bent some more, bringing his head closer... and his face rested on her bosom. Naina's breath hitched. Her hear rate plummeted. The heat from his face was burning her skin. Even if his skin had not been hot, this contact would have made her go up in flames.

With shaking hands, she pulled out the pillow and placed the fresh one. She lowered his head... but at the same moment, his arm came around her, pressing her closer to him.

Her breathing had altogether stopped... though her heart raced... the blood rushing to her ears.

Sameer had hugged her many times but his hand had never gone below her shoulders, never had he circled her waist... but today... in the present state of drugged sleep... he tightened his hold on her slender waist as his other hand pressed her back, making her face touch his hair... and his face digging into her.

"Nainaaa... ", he mumbled, the longing in his voice very clear.

She remained locked in that position, holding his head with one hand, while the other one was placed on his side, to balance herself.

Her breathing had started coming in small gasps now.... as his palm flattened on her waist.

" Naina, mujhe chod ke mat jaana... main mar jaunga",  his muffled voice reached her.

She was stunned... why was he still scared?  Did he have any doubt on her love for him? Did he not believe in their future together?  Naina promised herself that she'll completely erase such insecurities from his mind.

She brought her other hand around his head and pressed him closer, sofly whispering in his ears, "Main tumhe chod ke kahin nahi jaungi, Sameer... kabhi nahi."

A few drops of tears escaped her eyes, getting lost in his hair.

Somehow, the closeness felt just right... she belonged to him, forever,  and if he needed her to comfort him in his vulnerable state, she'll not step back.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें