Award

The day was here.

Naina was exhilarated since morning. She couldn't believe that she would be awarded along with big names of writing world. She had been winning medals and trophies in school all the time... for her exemplary performance in academics... but this was different. She will be the youngest person to receive this award.

She had been up quite early, unable to sleep. Finishing her bath, she got ready in the white dress. She combed her freshly shampooed hair till they fell like silk on her back. Searching her small jewelry box, she found the hoops she had purchased in Ahmedabad. She put them on, satisfied with how they shone against her dark hair. As she opened the drawer to put back the little box, her eyes fell on a stick. Preeti had given her a lip gloss when she was leaving.

"Behen, jijaji behosh ho jaayenge", she had winked while putting it in her bag.

Naina had never tried it earlier but today was a special day. She applied single stroke on her lips.

Stepping back from the mirror, she checked her reflection. Since Sameer started calling her beautiful, she had seen herself in a different light... feeling more confident now. Satisfied with her appearance, she picked up a small bag, just enough to carry some money, a comb and her identity card.

Sameer had been waiting outside the college gate with his bike. The minute she stepped out, he could feel her fragrance in the air. He looked at her... and was mesmerised. Dressed in white, she looked exquisite... so serene, so pure, so angelic... her hair flew in the morning breeze... and her earrings... he gaped in wonder at the big hoops she was wearing. Never had he seen her like this. As she neared him, another shock was ready to hit him. He stood spellbound... Naina was wearing a lip gloss. While they were in school, there was no question of any makeup, but in last almost two years, Naina had never bothered with anything.

He forgot to blink... or breathe.

She gave a big smile, stopping near him. All he could see was her lips.

" Sameer... Sameer ",  she shook him.

No response.

She tugged harder at his sleeve, " Sameeer".

"Huh... ha... haan",  he came back to his senses.

" So gaye kya?" She teased him.

"Nahi... kho gaya. Naina, yeh sab kya hai?" His voice a little breathless.

She was suddenly conscious, looking around her shoulders, "Kyon, achchi nahi hai dress... achchi nahi lag rahi toh change karke aaun kya?"

Dress?  Oh yes, the dress... his entire attention was elsewhere.

He looked at her beautiful white outfit... its sleeves reached her elbows and a belt of the same fabric was tied at the waist, making the lower part flow down till her ankles smoothly and the upper part... he gulped... the upper part hugged her snugly... showing off her curves more than any other dress she had worn.

He had so many reasons to die for, today.

Closing his eyes, he let out a long breath, "Naina, aaj kya maar hi daalogi? Ek din mein itne jhatke nahi le sakta."

"Kya bol rahe ho, Sameer... batao na, dress change karun kya? " She was not able to understand his mutterings.

"Nahi... change karne ki zaroorat nahi hai... achchi hai... bohot achchi hai... ab chalein", he turned his back to her... probably not looking at her will help him calm down.

As she sat on the bike, she felt the absence of her bag, which was always placed between herself and Sameer. The one she was carrying was too small. Having no other option, she held onto his shoulders, trying to keep some distance between them.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें